1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware reversal...possible? How?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by BlkPnthr, Jul 1, 2003.

1. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I have a Pioneer A05 which I just flashed with the Pioneer v1.33 firmware and think I might have toasted it because now, the PC doesn't recognize the burner and gives me the blue screen of death. If someone is knowlegable in the field of downgrading to the previous firmware, could you please help a newbie out and walk me through it. What I have tried so far from DOS is:

UPGRADE.BAT
    UPGDVD.EXE /F
    UPGDVD.EXE /f

upgrade.bat
    upgdvd.exe /F
    upgdvd.exe /f

(I have also tried this from the "Start/Run" menu).

Message I always get back is that if I want to "upgrade" then I need to "update" my utilites. Does this make any sense to anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Download this program and put it on floppy disc or CD. Then set your computer to boot from the floppy preferably and run this program. It will allow you to downgrade your Pioneer DVR104's firmware to its original.

http://www.mplextech.com/drivers/pioneerdvdr/floppy.zip

Chris

3. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Uhm...I had mentioned that I have an A05 and in your statement you refer to a Pioneer 104,...is there a difference? Just want to be sure as I am new to all of this.

Thanks again...

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

5. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Thanks...I followed Gradius's info in the Firmware Forums and printed out the instructions before re-installing burner. I used my Millennium Start-up disks to get me to the A:\ Prompt and then went to my folder that had the firmware unzipped. For some odd reason I originally tried to downgrade to v1.21 and got the message, "If you want to update the current firmware, then you need to update this utility software"..and then the burner started to flash itself....I did a re-boot and still nothing....still a dead burner..however, when I repeated the procedure and re-flashed using the "last known" good firmware (v1.30 - original) the computer booted normally and things (SO FAR) are back to normal. I am wondering if I should try Gradius's v1.33? Kind of stupid since I didn't have anything and now I have it back. Maybe when I have more money in case I really screw it up.

Thank again for all your help !!

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im using Gradius Version 1.33 with no problems. Its up to yourself, you can always do the same and go back and change it

7. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Yes, I am trying it now...so far it's working good. What a "trying" time this has been. Thought I had kissed $600 away....damn...what a way to end my long weekend.

Thanks again.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No probs ;-)
    Glad i could help

Chris

9. berretta

berretta Guest

Any ideas on how to reverse a firmware upgrade on a NEC 1100A. I hate to admit it but I don't know what I started with but I do know I have 10GE now. Thanks.

10. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Only thing I can suggest is to follow Gradius's "walk-through". Only thing that saved me. Not familiar with NEC products so, not sure if this would apply or not.

Best of luck !!

11. Tromos

Tromos Member

Hi There,

I've just seen there are a lot of experts around here, and maybe some of us have already seen a problem like this: I upgraded my A05 firmware to the official v1.33 (from Australian Pioneer site). The situation became the worst: the drive forgot to write, only simulation (Test writing) was working. I collect some older firmwares, and I downgrade my drive to v1.21 from a Millenium Boot-disk (because under xp it was not working), then upgrade to official v1.30, but I'am not satisfied: at 4x, only simulation working, the drive can write with only 2x speed, I tested different medias.
    If you can, please help me, because the drive had a warranty matrix, what's broken..

Thanks a lot.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What media did u test with. Use a grade A ritek G04 for testing. Also, use the RPC1 firmware version 1.33 that i and BlkPnthr both use.

13. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I also have the NEC 1100A and am in need of an older firmware. My burner will only burn on RW's. And today I got a 'power supply error' message....whatever that means. Nothing has been changed,except the firmware....so that must be the problem. Any help would be great. THANX alot