1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware update for SONY DVD RW DW-D22A BYS3

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by fratzicu, Mar 5, 2006.

1. fratzicu

fratzicu Member

Hi! I wouldn't start a new thread, i just wanted to post a reply on a topic older than 60 days. I'm answering to a problem which occured to me.
    These days i have bought some cheap blanc DVD +R and tried to burn them with [bold]SONY DVD RW DW-D22A BYS3[/bold]. I have thrown 4 out of 6 because the error was that i could read only about half on each disk.
    Then I started thinking maybe my DVD RW needs a firmware update.
    I was afraid to update it about a year ago when I bought the device, but now i said, what the hell... So I have checked out google and I discovered the site http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html and http://codeguys.rpc1.org/dvdrw_overview.html where I found that was no update for my device, but that my device was the same with [bold]Sony DRU-710A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S/1653S)[/bold].
    So I followed the instructions and I used [bold]"BYX5 - patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED (for 1213S, 1613S, 1653S, etc.)"[/bold] for updating and everything was great.
    Now my device is recognised as [bold]SONY DVD RW DRU-710A BYX5[/bold] and the led that was only green now turns red when writing. It's just great that I made this update, because there is no support for my device as it was bulk. (I think I wouldn't have bought it if I knew that... but I wanted one soon and I wanted SONY). Thanks codeguys!
    As an ending, I would like to say that It gave errors again with those cheap blanc DVDs, but fewer, and worked great with better blancs, even at 8x.
    Hope it helps.
    PS: When I made the update my heart rate has risen as I remembered that I forgot A cd inside the device and there were other programs running (but not incd or alike). I had some patience and I was afraid that the process of programing may block because the progress bar was at 100%and the process wouldn't finish. As a matter of fact it lasted for another 4-5 minutes, playing with my blood pressure. It works great! So you may try it at your own risk, as I did (and others).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I am glad to see that someone actually uses the "Search" tab, before posting the same question over,and over, and over,again!

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed, nice one for doing some searching, it's a very uncommon trait around here :)

5. ozdidiot

ozdidiot Member

Can someone please direct me to where I can find this firmware bys3 Ive looked for it everywhere and keep coming on this same link the guy provided but that link doesnt work....help would be greatly appreciated....

6. gmhagan

gmhagan Guest

I just found this thread.
    I also have the dreaded sony DW-D22A combi oem drive but its the BYS1 version.

I obtained this drive when having my 1st PC built in Oct 2004.
    The vendor included the SONY oem in the package.
    (yes I'm definitely a newbie on PC's) Theres no product info or support to speak of with this drive.

Does anyone know how I can determine if this dvd combi is dual layer capable? (I don't currently own any burning software that supports dual layer but if the drive can handle it I'd probably go get it.)

I haven't had much luck finding out anything from the sony site.

Also, is there any documentation avail for what problems / capabilities the various firmware levels address?

ex. I'm on BYS1, any advantage to flashing to newer verison or
    going for the LiteOn SOHW-1633s/1653s BYX5 upgrade?

Any help will be appreciated...
    thx

7. creaky

don't take this the wrong way but most of the info you needed was in the first post there...

also the very first thing that came back from a google search was this - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=108364 a snippet being
    as to firmware, BYS3 was in a link from within the original poster's second link ie http://dhc014.rpc1.org/indexOEM.htm#DW-D22A

BYX5 was from within the first link from the original poster though i don't think you're ready for crossflashing :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  8. gmhagan

gmhagan Guest

No offense taken.. I have zero documentation on this dvd drive in my possesion and really wasn't sure if there was more than one model of the DW D22A out there...

Unless I can find good documentation I wouldn't want to try flashing it. (don't even know if I would need to for sure anyway)
    Its working ok for the most part.

FWIW I've been an MVS system programmer for 23 years
    so the concept of firmware upgrades is not completely foreign
    to me. (Its the PC platforms that I lack the experience on)

But your warning is not going unheeded...
    Thx for your reply

9. creaky

no worries, just don't want you to toast your burner :)

10. fratzicu

fratzicu Member

Hi, I see my post had some success.
    In response to your requests, I'd say that the links I've writed on my first post are very useful for newbies like me. There you can find all the firmware updates available and some informations about them.
    fear was my ennemy when I flashed my drive, and i wouldn't do it if i wouldn't think: what the hell, and what if i toast it? I'll eventually buy anodher.
    There's not much interest for me in burning dual layer DVDs because they are 2x in size and 5x in price than a normal dvd.

11. oldscho0l

oldscho0l Member

Hi again,

I was pointed in this direction by another thread, and after trying and trying Ive given up on my dvd writer and am going to crossflash it. However, Im having some confusion. The other flashes were done with binary files, and no matter what I do, I cant get my dvd burner to update to BYS3 from BYS2 (even when it was done properly according to LtnFW.exe, it still is showing BYS2). So I attempted to try the above procedure. However, the files on the linked pages are exe files. After running the BYX5 patched exe through flashfix I got an error saying it didnt work, so I tried with the stock BYX5 and it worked successfully. But the drive still shows as D22A BYS2. What other steps do I have to take? I cant seem to locate the binary firmware for the BYX5, only exe files, and i cant figure out how it changes the firmware. In fact flashfix says that it doesnt even change firmware. As you can tell im a little confused, can someone help me as to what to do next?

12. fratzicu

fratzicu Member

Hi, I don't understand why it wouldn't work. Mine was bys3 and i crossflashed it with an exe file and it worked. Maybe you could use another flash tool, eventually in ms-dos. I don't know how to use a tool as crossflash. Maybe on the forum over there you'll find some directions. I think i saved my bys3 (binary and eeprom, i think) file. Of course, you know that you would use this file at your own risk. Please send me an e-mail at [bold]**email removed by creaky**[/bold] and i'll try to reply with an attachement. I hope your mail doesn't end in my bulk folder, because i never check messages there. I,m not an expert. I just wanted to share something i've been through and it worked, because i know how hard it is not to find anything about it. Also, I think that the 2 urls from the first post will take you to a site where you can document enough and you can find your drive information and firmware updates if any. I have the feeling that if you can't find it there, you won't find it anywhere.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  13. oldscho0l

oldscho0l Member

Email sent. Thanks for the help. If this doesnt work is there any way to just delete the firmware entirely and start with a "fresh flash", as it were?

Edit: Thanks for the help, im not sure what i was doing wrong but the email you sent me with the bys3 firmware worked and it took this time, and now im burning dvds without having to crossflash :) Youre the man man, thanks a bunch.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  14. creaky

i'm glad you sorted oldscho0l out there but the email address has been removed, they're not allowed on the public forums

15. fratzicu

fratzicu Member

Hi again, I'm very glad it worked for you, oldscho0l. Creaky, I apologise for the e-mail address. Oldscho0l, if you updated it to bys3, now you could use the exe file, the one with the multicoloured led to have the last firmware update. But, well, if you're satisfied it's good for now. I must tell you it took me a year to decide to apply the multicolour led firmware. So I wouldn't want to make you decide to do it too.

16. creaky

no worries, plus i've made a link to this thread in my profile in case anyone else wants to do this particular crossflashing..

17. rocknice

rocknice Member

Hey I've have read and tried all the cross-flashing imaginable.... I'm left with a drive retagged as a lite-on 1663... but it was a Sony DW-D22a before I began my antics. The same problem remains... though the crossflashing helped my burning stability, I cannot read certain retail DVDs. I am not sure whatformat they are in, as I've seen some listed above. But in comparison with one of the DVDs that will read, these "blanks" have a wavy look to them when I look at them under light, as opposed to a very angular and semetrical look of the ones that do read. How can I tell their type?? and does anyone know the fixes for this??

thanks!!

18. cubefreak

cubefreak Member

Hi, what are the improvements of crossflashing BYX5 firmware over the BYS3 (besides the LED change & rebranding)? Does it improve burn qualities, supported burn speeds & more brands of media?

Also is it possible to downgrade/reverse the crossflash of BYX5 & revert back to the old BYS3 stock firmware?

Appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

19. fratzicu

fratzicu Member

Hi, yes, it is possible to downgrade. Read this entire topic and go to the given links. I don't think it updates drive capabilities. The speeds are the same. I don't know what's with the blue-ray disks.
    I have never encountered the problem of not reading retail dvds. I thought the crossflashing improves that.

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  20. clayruth

clayruth Member

Thank you for starting this thread. I have the same drive and was surprised to find that the new Maxell "max 16x" DVD-Rs were rejected as invalid media, as well as to see speed choices of only 1x, 2x, and 4x. I had burned plenty of Maxell 8x DVD-Rs and had expected the 16x media to work as well. I applied the BYX5 patched firmware update and can now burn the new 16x discs with the usual choices of 4x, 6x, and 8x. And yes, that color-changing LED is nice too! fratzicu, you rock!