1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware update for SONY DVD RW DW-D22A BYS3

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by fratzicu, Mar 5, 2006.

1. fratzicu

fratzicu Member

Hi, I'm glad I could be of help. I often rezolve many of my computer (software or hardware) problems viziting various forums I find with google or yahoo. What would it be if no user would share his experience? So i thaught I could help someone, as someone else helped me so many times.

2. muelly

muelly Member

another satisfied customer!

Thanks for posting this. Last night I followed the instructions and successfully burned my first ever DVD! Makes you wonder how many people must have thrown out their Drive by now, having been frustrated, like myself, by apparent inability to burn cheap Cds and any sort of DVDs

I don't normally post, but felt this was different. Thanks again!

3. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

Hello,
    I have the same burner also.
    I had BYS2 firmware for the longest time untill sony starting making new discs that would not work with BYS2. So I updated to BYS3 and the sony discs work but now my burner would not recognize my expensive verbatim discs I use to backup my PS2 games. WHY I dont get it?

So I just now updated to BYX5 to see if my verbatims would work and they still don't.(there the Digital movie DVD+R the ones that look like a movie reel).

Why don't they work?

I guess im just going to have to downgrade back to BYS2 ever time I want to use this discs. What a pain Isn't there another way?

Thank you

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@NINVIN21 - if your burner is a rebadged Lite-on you could use the omnipatcher utility (available from one of those links in the first post above), and add the media information for those Verbs into the firmware, then the Verb disks should work fine. I've done similar when i had Lite-on 1693's - the fimware didn't cater for 4x burning on some discs if i recall correctly, only 6x and 8x, so i used omnipatcher to add the 4x burn speed. It's quite easy to do/understand, look thru the links in first post and see what you think...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  5. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

Thanks for the help creaky but Im a little lost.

The media code for the discs are, MCC 002 +R 1-4x.

I put BYX5 firmware into omipatcher and it is listed MCC -002-00 +R

and the the 4x box is checked.

Am I over looking something?

6. creaky

@NINVIN21 - hmmm, so it sounds like the BYX5 firmware does recognise those discs but you still can't use them ?. it could possibly be worthwhile you cross-flashing. i'm not sure what to recommend tonight though as i'm done in and i don't want to trash your drive; could you read up on it some more and i could have a look at this again in the morning when i'm (hopefully) fresher

7. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

yes that is right,

So I updated again to CSOT SOHW-1653S and This did not help, so then I tried BYS6 and still I could not use MCC-002 media.

SO I took a closer look at omipatcher and Next to the media I'm trying to use there is a Exclamation mark(!MCC-002) for ever firmware except BYS2.

So I just added the new Sony disc's code(SONY16D1) to the BYS2 firmware with omnipatcher. and everything works great.

My question is why is there a Exclamation mark next to some media
    I hope this info helps someone out one day.
    Thanks everyone.

O and here is a link to BYS6 I really don't no what the differnce
    Is but I tested it and it works so here it is
    http://www.cdr.cz/?dvd_rekordery/sony/dru710a.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  8. creaky

i don't know what the exclamation mark means but glad it worked for you

9. fratzicu

fratzicu Member

Great link for firmware. I don't know if they work after crossflashing. I don't understand czech language. Maybe there's an english readme in the archives.

10. nwpanther

nwpanther Guest

I've used this thread to research my Sony DVD DW-D22A drive. I had the same problem where my burner continually failed to write a DVD...it always said invalid media. I updated my firmware from BYS2 to BYS3 successfully; however, I still receive the same error messages. I completed more research and bought different brands of recordable DVD's and recordable speeds: Maxell DVD-R 8X, Memorex DVD-R 16X, and Verbatim DVD-R 16X.

I haven't tried the DVD+R recordable discs. Should I? What speed should I get? Should I try to upgrade to BYS5? BYS6? Do I need another .exe file along with the BYS updage?

Any assistance would be excellent.