1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

firmware update ....how and where? for Matshita DVD - RAM UJ - 8205

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by twofake, Oct 1, 2004.

1. twofake

twofake Member

Just when I thought I got the Burning happening, I went out and bought some of the Latest AZO Dye DVD-R discs from "Laser" but when I put them into my Matshita DVD-RAM, it does not recognise them and says that it was "unable to intialize disc in time : not ready - incompatable medium installed".
    The shop says "no refunds" and that I have to install a firmware update. The burner is about 3 months old.
    Whenever I Google search for that Number UJ-820S, it always comes up for some other numbers like UJ 811.
    Can some one direct me to where the firmware update is for my burner please?

2. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

I don't have an answer to your question, but I to have the exact same burner and I am finding that my Maxell discs (which are actually TY's) burn well and play in all my dvd players with the exception of the buring rom itself (Mitshita dvd-ram uj-850s). I find this a bit odd and i'm wondering if this is a firmware issue?(if anyone can help me with this, that would be awsome), and like you I could not find where to get the firmeare update. If anyone knows the answer to our question the help would be greatly appretiated

3. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

Twofake, i found out why you weren't getting any search results. Mitshita is made by Panasonic, and I found our burner at Videohelp.com under the name Panasonic UJ-820, hopfully this helps you out.

4. twofake

twofake Member

Hi,
    Thanks. I went to that site but still cannot find any firmware for the Panasonic UJ 820 .Can you paste the link here for me please?
    I can't understand why DVDs burned on your burner won't play on the burner. I assume you have a setting for play incorrectly set.

5. ClipsKid

ClipsKid Member

Sorry I should have clarified, I only found the model at videohelp.com not the firmware, I just though that the name difference might help you find the firmware easier. In the mean time i went to the "fimrware page" (not sure what actual address is) but you can probably find it through a search engine like yahoo or google, anyways I typed in our model, the Matshita dvd-ram uj-820s and I got a hit, unfortunently they say that there is no firmware available for this model yet, so unfortunetly you are stuck with the 1.00 ver for now. Sorry that I couldn't help you any further, and again with the last movie I burned, it plays well in all my dvd player except for my burner itself (too much freezing) this is getting really frustrating.

6. twofake

twofake Member

Thanks again. In the searches I did, I just went around and around in circles and always ended up in some place called Hot Spot Holidays or something like that. It would have been good to get the message that no firmware update is available yet.

With your burner problem, I would even try to go and buy an expensive disc (one recommended by this site) and try that. A small price to pay to try to get rid of a lot of frustration. When a disc plays on my computers and doesn't play in the DVD home player, I jsut burn it again on another disc. I read that the way the burning process works, it is lucky that any of the burned discs play at all.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ClipsKid,

Pardon me but, could you please post that information so that we might see it ?

In my book "Maxell" are listed as having an UNKNOWN dye which usually means it varies and is usually the cheapest stuff on the cheapest composite they can get their hands on. I find no mention of Taiyo Yudens.

.Here's what I found about Maxell:

General data:
    Offerer: Maxell
    Designation: DVD r
    Print: Maxell
    Packing: Jewel Case
    EAN code: 4902580347376
    UPC code: without
    Detail:
    Manufacturer's code: MXL RG02
    Manufacturer: Hitachi Maxell, Ltd..
    Dye type: Unknown
    Version:
    Data capacity: 4.70 GB
    Video capacity: 120 minutes (standard Play)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guys,

I found your burner under "M"

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Also there are some excellent "Hacked Firmwares" here -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Cheers,

Pete

BTW, I would suggest changing media unless ClipsKid comes up with something that says that Maxells are TY's. In my book, Maxells don't measure up.

I would suggest using some "Branded" Taiyo Yudens, some Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ridata, "Branded " Verbatim DataLife Plus, Ritek G04 or any media that boasts "Advanced METAL AZO" - BUT it has to include the word "METAL".

"P"

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*moved*

9. twofake

twofake Member

Thanks Scuba Pete.
    You really know your stuff.
    So AZO dyes are not the same as Metal AZO dyes. I think I'll just return to using "normal" DVD-R discs that my burner recognises....and wait until Matshita releases its firmware for my model.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy twoflake, welcome to aD,

Use any of the discs I recommended, I believe your burner will love you to feed'em those -

Burners don't have problems with "Good" media, it's when you feed'em crap thjat they don't sit down at the table -

Try meritline.com for excellent prices, sometimes better than what you were paying -

Ritek G04's were about $0.44 ea (USD) last week - they do change from week to week depending if they get deals -

Let me know how you do -

Pete

11. twofake

twofake Member

Scuba Pete,
    Thanks for the advice. Due to me being in Australia, I need to buy the DVD-R discs here . I had a look at the Meritline.com site. Fantastic deals there but shipping to Australia is prohibitive. I am having a little trouble finding the GO4 Ritecs here in Australia. I have found TY OEM DVD-R for $75.80 Australian including postage. Are these OK or do I continue looking for Ritecs?

12. CJC

CJC Regular member

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there twofake,

Iffin you can get TY's do it. they are about the top of the ladder - you can't get much better IMO.

Around here it's the G04's that are cheap and the TY's that are costly -

You'll have no problems with the TY's.

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  14. twofake

twofake Member

Thanks again Scuba Pete.
    I will let you konw how I go in the future.
    Great having you as a mentor.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're more than welcome -

16. twofake

twofake Member

Update for Scuba Pete.
    I managed to get some Ritec G04s for 96 cents each Australian but I don't really care about the price. i am happy that my back up movie plays and that I don't have to keep getting out and potentially scratching up my originals (and I mainly hate those annoying menus!).
    So far, all have burned beautfully (I am following your bible for Nero burning ROM to a T). I also like the quality look of the Ritecs with that nice blue cover on each one.
    Keep up the good work Scuba Pete.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Twoflake,

I'm so delighted that you've gotten everything working well -

I wanted to remind you that you've made a few friends here so we expect to see more of you, iffin you've got the time - Feel free to join us helping others, as you've seen, we try to have fun doing it :D) I thought I'd let you know, we have other forums also - Check'em out :) There's no telling, you might find one that's of interest to you. When in doubt, checkout the "Safety Valve", it's an almost anything goes Forum (keeping in fair to good taste of course). We shoot the breeze about most anything that's on your mind, Events of the day, Movies someone's seen and is looking for comments (they don't always get what they're expecting (Lol), jokes of the day - there's no telling what's there, it can get pretty wild - Guess you'll have to check into it yourselves, "Heck, you might even run into me there ;P)

I'll look forward to seeing you around, and you better remember to say "Hi" -

I'll be sea'n you -

Pete

18. rcw

rcw Member

I have recently bought an Acer 8006LMi laptop using same Matsushita DVD-RAM UJ-820S drive. I have also found it very choosy about blank media when writing DVD+/-R. Not so bad with RW although slower with DVD-RW. So far have found no updates to 1.00 firmware. Often get burn failure as it writes lead-out. Reducing target file size in DVD-shrink to 4240Gb (95%) seems to improve this situation.

One interesting? point that's come to light. It doesn't work with any of the several "region free" software progs available. The reason I have found, is as follows:

Regional restriction (RPC II) works by not revealing the title key on CSS protected discs IF the region code of drive & disc do not match. Usually this brings up prompt to change region, but you only get to change drive five times before firmware locks it onto last region (Nero drive info tool will tell you present state). Regional free software works with a brute force attack on the scrambled sectors containing the title key. Unfortunately Matsushita (Panasonic) have exceeded the MMC standard on this drive by not allowing even the scrambled title key to be read. Few if any other drives behave this way which is why the software manufacturers often claim it will work with ALL DVD drives

Seems like I will have to hope for a firmware update that turns off the RPC II regional code restriction, which to my mind is an unfair restriction on consumer rights. Wish I'd known this before I bought laptop.

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry rcw, don't have a suggestion for your DVD RAM BUT, as long as you have a 2.0 USB port or a firewire port (not as good as the USB) you should have no problem getting hold of an external DVD burner and you'll be a High-flying burner again :)

Something to think upon anyway :p)

Cheers,

Pete

20. twofake

twofake Member

Dear RCW, My advice is "listen to the GOD". As Scuba Pete says, and believe me that it's true, specifically use media like Ritec GO4s or others that he recommends. That Matshita drive loves them! Not one problem so far!
    Good luck!