1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by animedvds, Nov 16, 2004.

1. animedvds

animedvds Member

Can someone please explain to me what [bold]firmware[/bold] is.. i was told to update mine

2. john179

john179 Active member

The easiest way i can think to explain firmware is it is like say your windows operating system.But its hidden in the writer and basiclly it tells your writer what it can and can not do.You can see what version you have on when opening many burning softwares or by downloading at tool from the makers which will allow you to see what version is on.

Updating your firmware can be of good use from time to time.Many companys have firmware updates every so often so they can make certain writers more compatible to certain medias along with other improvements.You can also get hacked firware which may do many things like make your sl drive in to a dl driver depending on the drive.

I would recomend you get a official version of a firmware update for your drive and one that can be returned to the firmware you had on before updating.Flashing the firmware on your drive is normally an easy thing to do but a important thing.Please ensure you do it right or it could damage your drive.Here is a link to find out more about firmware which i would have a read around before you flash your drive.Once you have made up your mind to flash the drive you will be able to find firmware updates on the makers web site.

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Hope this helps

John179.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  3. animedvds

animedvds Member

thank you very much for the help john it is greatly appreciated..

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi animedvds,

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to "introduce" all the different kinds of media to your burner and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media in introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new Firmware updates come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Firmware, You can't be without it -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004