1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

firmware

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joseshs98, Dec 3, 2004.

1. joseshs98

joseshs98 Guest

is it safe to download new firmware?

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

A PC company offered this advice:
    "There is no need to update your firmware unless necessary".
    I have been sticking to this advice.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi joseshs98, welcome to aD,

Firmware is constantly being updated. it allows your PC to write better to existing discs provides you with more discs to choose from and removes "bugs" found in prior firmware. It behooves you to keep your firmware as well as all your PC's drivers and system up-dates, up-to-date.

There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to "introduce" all the different kinds of media to your burner and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new Firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also –

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Firmware, You can't afford to be without it

Cheers, Pete