1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First build, need to know all the parts I'll need, already over budget.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Jkyr12, Jan 13, 2010.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You will probably have to update the BIOS to ensure long-term stability, but current P55 boards should support i3s from the outset. There would be more warnings if they didn't.
    I would still recommend getting a proper ATX board rather than a mATX one.
    The hard disk is very quiet and reasonable value, but it will be very slow for a main drive as these Green drives are only designed to store data, not run operating systems. This is the more suitable version:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073&Tpk=wd5000aaks
    As amazing as Scythe fans are, you could save a fair few dollars by using a cheaper fan like an Antec Tricool. A low budget system needn't use top dollar case fans.

2. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

I thought I changed the Mobo, and the only Antec tricool is 92mm...worried that cases only support 80 and 120. There's another for same price which is 120, and can move more air. Going with the 120. Now just need case and CPU cooler. Any recommendations? And how many of those fans should I get?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

That's the one I saw, it just didn't say tricool. Found a case.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct.aspx?Item=N82E16811233037 . Gonna put that fan in the front. And now I am just looking for a cpu cooler, or would the one I'm getting with the core i3 work? I'm not gonna OC or anything, and I'll have two fans. I may even take the fan from my old PC and mount it. Would the stock stuff work?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Does it actually fit a front fan? It's difficult to tell from the product page.

6. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

8. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Adding the Tricool fan to the side will improve cooling performance further, no reason not to use it. (Remember to fix it the correct way round, you want it sucking air into the case, not blowing it out the side)
    Static prevention, just ground yourself briefly before starting - easiest way to do this is to touch a cold water or radiator pipe in the house. You don't need to remain grounded during the operation - just avoid the obvious, playing with hair or pets, sliding around on carpet, wearing the sort of jumpers that static when you take them off.

10. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

And if the only exposed pipes are on the other end of the house, in the garage, across 15 yards of carpet? I read that installing a power supply, plugging it in, but keeping it off, makes the metal a ground. Does this work? And if you say nothing about it, I will assume the stock cpu cooler that comes with the i3 will be fine.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've already stated at least once that the stock CPU cooler will suffice. Read my posts more thoroughly next time please :)
    I think You can use the case as a ground if the mains is attached and the PSU switched off, but I was never that confident about this as a method.

12. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

Sorry about not reading. I also read that as long as the thing is plugged in it will continually send power through the mobo. I can easily bypass this by wrapping wire around the ground on the power cable and sticking it in the outlet. It's all about keeping you and the comp at the same energy level.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure exactly what it is you're doing there, but NEVER build a PC with the PSU switched on. There aren't harmful voltages going around, but all the RAM, PCI, USB etc. ports on the motherboard are live if the power connector is attached, and voltage spikes can damage components.

14. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Um, list follows?

The statement you read out is correct (although it is basically just paraphrasing what I said above).

16. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

I edited.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks fine to me.

18. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

Now I just need to get my mom to pay me back the 450 she owes me and lend me 230. Did I mention I'm 14?

Thanks for all the help!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Younger than I was when I built my first PC. Technically I didn't do a system entirely from scratch until I was 18, though I'd gradually upgraded every part piece by piece a couple of years before hand...

20. Jkyr12

Jkyr12 Member

It is my hope that by building it myself, I can just keep upgrading until it is cheaper to just build another from scratch. It will be easier to just upgrade for a while. And until I can afford AlienWare, I probably won't get another prebuilt.