1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First chapter skips on backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by NWBrimer, Feb 23, 2005.

1. NWBrimer

NWBrimer Member

Hi everyone, I need a bit of help. This is my first post so bare with me.

I've been copying movies just fine that aren't duel format, but when I use DVD Shrink to rip only the movie I am running into a problem where I have to skip to the 2nd chapter for the disk to run correctly. I usually have the video and audio skip at the beginning. I'll get into specifics:

Most recently I successfully copied Resident Evil 2 using DVD43 to remove CSS and then DVD Decrypter 3.5 (latest version as of right now, I checked) and concluded by reauthoring with DVD Shrink. The burn was done at 4.0x and did not require any compression.

Only other things I can think to tell you is that I'm using TDK brand DVD+R discs and that I'm removing all subtitle and audio tracks with the exception of the main English track.

I don't really mind compressing the movie at all, but have minor glitches in the beginning of a movie can take away from the entertainment experience a good bit.

2. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I've never only copied just the main movie on a dvd before. I always copy full discs and I've never had a problem. Why not compress the whole disc and copy the whole thing? you won't notice a difference in quality. Just open dvd shrink, rip the disc and it will automatically compress. you don't need to use dvd43 or dvd decrypter.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Sounds like you're running into the newer encryption systems. The latest version of DVD43 at DVD43.com_ handles the unreadable sector encryption. DVD43 is free. The AnyDVD from Slysoft is retail, also it's a much better app and is updated faster than most when a new encryption system comes into the market. The latest version of DVD Decrypter was also updated to handle the newer encryption systems. So, to solve most of your problems like you had with RE2, you just need to use updated software. Personally, I do all my ripping and encoding with AnyDVD running. Burning at 4X and below is also a good idea to stop some skipping problems. TDK is good media, so I don't think you have a problem there.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello NWBrimer, Like brobear said,anydvd is far better than dvd43 on those newer encryptions.

One of the new movies a few weeks ago gave me an error on my very reliable stand alone player. Something was up with that encryption. I usually use dvd shrink/anydvd/and burn with nero-Main movie only. I forget the movie but there was something before the trademark of lady liberty that gave me that same symptom that you described.

Most of the time on main movie only,I cut out the beginning and ending credits. There was something on these beginning credits that screwed us up. I didn't cut anything out of the main movie only. So I made another copy,reauthored main movie only,and cut out the usual credits and played like normal. I didn't think much about it till a few days later when everybody started having trouble with that movie.I remember removing everything until the frame with lady liberty-and set it to start there,no problem.

I don't know if it will help,but I will do this extra cutting on my future backups.

I believe the movie was The Grudge. Later

5. NWBrimer

NWBrimer Member

To answer Gulliver: I was told you can notice compression past %70. I'm not using an HDTV so having %100 isn't that important. But I'm still sure you need DVD Decrypter for RE2 particularly, but most other movies I only need DVD43 to bypass the CSS Encryption.

To answer Brobear: I'm aware that RE2 along with The Grudge and Forgotten has newer anti-ripping capabilities such as bad sectors, but I've noticed this problem in DVDs like Shaun of the Dead and Harold and Kumar, both of which I didn't need DVD Decrypter to use.

And to saugmon: I will try AnyDVD again. I tried a bunch of different programs when I was first starting off, made it to DVDShrink and never really noticed major problems.

If taking out the first few seconds of the beginning of a movie solved some problems for you then I'll try and burn RE2 again and let you guys know if taking out the first bit of the movie fixed my problem.

6. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

believe me, you won't notice compression at 50 - 60%. Unless you either have HDTV, like you said, or while you're watching the movie, you sit a foot away and analyze every strand of hair. trust me...give it a try and you'll see what I mean. I usually compress at about 60% though.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

When the compression level dips below 60%, I use a true encoder. I go to CCE operated by Rebuilder, the RB/CCE you see talked about here on the forum. It's tops for handling high compression. The trade off is that it takes longer.

NWBrimer
    I don't know what to tell you. From personal experience with RE2, there was no need to edit to back up this movie. AnyDVD and rip the files to the HD with Decrypter and I had the ripped files for the encode. There were some patches to use with Decrypter in conjunction with DVD Shrink to backup some movies. They isolated the particular sectors causing the problems. You could check the DVD Decrypter forum to see if there was one for RE2. If it's there, it will save a lot of trouble doing the edit.

8. NWBrimer

NWBrimer Member

Looks like I'll have to look into AnyDVD then. I was under the idea it did the same thing as DVD Shrink. Time to do some homework now that I know more about this process. Am I correct in the assumption that AnyDVD can replace DVD Shrink?

9. brobear

brobear Guest

No, AnyDVD doesn't transcode and you still need a burner for Shrink. Here's a short description of AnyDVD.
    http://www.slysoft.com
    AnyDVD is a driver, which descrambles DVD-Movies automatically in the background. This DVD appears unprotected and region code free for all applications and the Windows operating system as well. With AnyDVD's help copy tools like CloneDVD, Pinnacle Instant Copy, InterVideo DVD-Copy, etc. are able to copy CSS protected Movies. With the help of AnyDVD you can watch movies with non matching region codes with every DVD Player Software you like! AnyDVD decrypts not just DVDs: AnyDVD allows you also to play, copy and rip protected Audio CDs!

10. brobear

brobear Guest

No, AnyDVD doesn't transcode and you still need a burner for Shrink. Here's a short description of AnyDVD.
    AnyDVD is a driver, which descrambles DVD-Movies automatically in the background. This DVD appears unprotected and region code free for all applications and the Windows operating system as well. With AnyDVD's help copy tools like CloneDVD, Pinnacle Instant Copy, InterVideo DVD-Copy, etc. are able to copy CSS protected Movies. With the help of AnyDVD you can watch movies with non matching region codes with every DVD Player Software you like! AnyDVD decrypts not just DVDs: AnyDVD allows you also to play, copy and rip protected Audio CDs!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Shrink has to have AnyDVD or another updated ripper to handle the newer encryption systems.