1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRST COMPUTER, HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skyline, Mar 28, 2007.

1. skyline

skyline Regular member

hi, i jsut finished making my beautiful computer today, and i was wondering what do i do next, i entered the BIOS and did some stuff there, but how dio i install windows xp or 98 or even vista.

2. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

lol; I built mine about a few weeks ago and I was stumped with that same situation too..lol....

Well; it's quite simple if you do in fact have OS to load on there. It's as simple as putting in the bootable windows disc and following whatever the onscreen instructions say.

hth;
    Halen5150

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Go with and stay with XP, the Professional version if you have it. 98 lacks a lot of hardware support, and there is nothing good about Vista - I'd sooner put DOS on my machine than that thing. You may wish to partition your disk and do a dual-boot setup with Linux, though I'd save the majority of disk space for XP. All you have to do to install XP is put your XP disc in the drive. If you want to create a dual-boot system, create at least two partitions and have XP format the main C: drive partition as FAT32 (you can have another partition as NTFS so you can handle files over 4 Gb in size. You need FAT32 to be able to dual-boot properly and share files with the Linux or 98 partition as neither one recognizes NTFS.) You will need a second partition for the other OS and a third if you want to run an NTFS disk. After that, if you want to dual-boot with Linux (or even 98 for that matter), just put the appropriate CD in the drive after installing XP and they'll do the rest. Whatever you do, make sure you run Windows Update, the Linux patcher, or, for Windows 98, download the updates manually.

4. skyline

skyline Regular member

ya but i got a problem, i DONT GOT XP, thats why i am installing 98 and then ill upgrade it in a day or two after ig et the disc from my friend, also i ahve another problem, i can only go into the BIOS, and when i select boot from CD-Rom drive, it freezes.

5. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well put the disc in and restart the pc most of the time you dont need to change it just goes through the boot order and finds it.
    Anyways Windows 1998 will only let you use 120gb and no USB 2.0 it will downclock to 1.1 you can only have 512mb ram so remember i dont think its worth it wait the few days and get XP if you instal this you will anyway have to wipe the HDD to do XP + XP uses NTFS as default 98 uses FAT32.

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Skyline I would have to agree with dazilla. Wait until you get XP, preferrably the pro version, otherwise you will have more headaches than you need. It sounds as if your new to this so....

To install your OS(XP, etc) to a HDD(hard drive) you want to do this for a successful install. Assuming you have dvd/cdrom, hdd 200gb drive, and cdrom of XP.

1st make sure all your options in your bios are reset to default! This is very important and you will have less trouble.

2nd Reboot.

3rd go back to your bios look for the boot options and set computer to look at the dvd/cdrom drive first then the hdd, etc.

4th if your hdd is unpartioned then choose the default option. Usually it's your hdd full capacity. Choose the NTFS option as XP runs better under this. DO a FULL Reformat of the drive.

5th Go find something to do for a while IF you have a large HDD.

6th After reboot again. Follow the on screen prompts for XP.

7th Have fun!

This whole process will take about 1-2hours depending on you system's speed.

This is just a general way of doing an OS install and making some assumptions. Also do some more research on the web there is plenty of reading material out there on the subject. If possible print it to have for reference when you are doing your install.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

and a last addition, make sure the windows you get (XP or XP Pro) has SP2 on it or your Windows will only format part of any drive over 128GB

I went with XP Pro for the one i built, pretty much the same as XP as far as using it.

8. skyline

skyline Regular member

thanks for the help guys, but i just took it to a computer tech and he said its gonna be done by tomorrow, so no biggie