1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time AnyDVD and CloneDVD user; also DVD-RB discussions within

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by trotsky77, Jun 14, 2008.

1. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I took a shot at the Phillips DVP1120. It's a small little guy but hopefully it should do the trick.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

I'm sure it will work great

3. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I am trying to tweak and perfect some things while I wait for my new media. From reading some of your posts, it sounds like I should have been doing more of the tweaks in DVD Fab rather than in DVD RB. Here is what I came up with in interpreting everything so far.
    For DVD Fab

1) Main movie
    A) Change to DVD9
    B) Uncheck all subtitles
    C) Keep audio channel 5.1 only
    D) Keep 1 video angle (usually the longest one)

2) Full disc
    A) Change to DVD9 (everything else is on default and should be fine)

DVD RB
    1) Source path to Video_TS folder
    2) Create folder for each disc and then a folder named "working" inside of each disc folder
    3) Working path to folder specific to each disc
    4) Output path to folder specific to each disc
    5) Double check all subtitles were removed
    6) Double check only 1 audio stream is checked if possible. If unsure keep all streams
    7) After each disc settings are set, "save project"
    8) After all discs are saved, click on batch processing
    9) Add all projects you want encoded
    10) Click "start"

Any other advice for any of this? I am guessing removing the subtitles and audio via DVD Fab may save some time since that stuff won't need to go through Rebuilder.

If I save entire disc in DVD Fab, it appears difficult to know which audio to remove in RB. This is where it appears I will just save all English audio. I can risk it and save just the 1st one listed but I'd rather be safe and save them all.

In case the Verbatim media was partly or entirely at fault here, I am starting over yet again so I figured I should get this all out there in case there is anything else I should be doing.

Thank you for being patient with how anal I can be at times. :)

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

everything looks good . only thing i do different is i check and use the English subtitles,you never know when you will need them. they don't take up that much disc space.

BTW hows your backups playing back on the new Phillips DVD player?

5. renacolt

renacolt Member

Many people also use the AnyDVD/CloneDVD combo with no problems (i don't as i am happy with DVDFab, Shrink and Rebuilder).

Creaky,

Are you still using DVDFab without any problems on new disks? I have been using it also and have been having troubles with new disks. I just tried to do the Spiderwick Chronicles and it won't work. I had some luck with AnyDVD, but my trial ran out and I hate to buy it if it is going to be obsolete in a few months.

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

why would you say that? it updates for all the newer titles and will be around for a long time to come

7. renacolt

renacolt Member

DVDFab updates also and it is not working with new disks, that is why.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i haven't bought many new titles lately but still keep up with Fab releases. I've been doing quite a few older titles which obviously work fine. Fab (and AnyDVD) sometimes struggle with the newest titles, nothing new there though, a new update always follows pretty quickly :)
    (don't recall any threads anywhere for Spiderwick btw).

9. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

When would a person need English subtitles? I was planning to use them whenever I copy foreign films. Are there other times I might need them. A movie like Borat does not need them as they are actually part of the movie.

I have yet to test the Phillips. I will wait until I get the new media in the mail and just start over now.

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

morning there trotsky77, most of the time when an addict gives you some advise it's mostly for a good reason, why subtitles, and don't forget Zo was right about sub's hardly take up any space?

If your deaf like my kids are well that's a no brainer...

I also found out as you get older your hearing is not all that great anymore either, in my case anyway...

If you got a bunch of kid's running around the house, or the wife's friends come over and it's yak yak yak...

Ever go to your favorite bar and try and watch anything and hearing it, don't think so...

Here's a big one, I love British & Irish movies, ever try and understand some of thier brough...

And I can give 20 more senerio's, so you never know when you might use it right? especially when it doesnt take up space, hardly anyway...

And last, I hope when you get your new player it will solve your problem, you have been really struggling here, reading all this just about everybody has exhausted idea's, I don't think you have a problem with a little money either and I aplogize if I'm wrong, but do yourself a favor if you don't, invest in clone and anydvd cause here's the thing, I can't give you any techie advise thats not in me, but as everybody has said, if your drives are updated, you are using the proper blank media and your really good in configuring those free programs, than that just about solves your pc part, than your player is suspect, and don't forget those free programs if you don't do one thing right it will cause problems, I know from experiance cause I'm a computer dummy, why I brag about clone, anydvd it does it all for you.

So when you get your new player, and your still having problems well than sorry to say your savvy with those programs might be a big suspect, if so, I don't don't mean to harp about this clone anydvd thing, do the trial thing, it's a freebie, what do you have to lose, cause if all of a sudden things work for you than you got your answer.

11. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I completely agree. I just like to ask a lot of questions so I have a better understanding of the big picture. It is hard for me to just do something because someone said it. Especially for a project like this that is meaningful to me, I want to have a thorough understanding of everything.

I will be sure to let everyone know the results, most likely sometime this upcoming weekend.

Of all of the programs I have tried, I do prefer Fab and RB best. If burning doesn't work after this, I don't know what I am going to do. LOL (I can't believe I am still laughing for how ridiculous this has all gotten) :)

12. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

For this 8X media, do I burn these at 8X or 4X? I have a 16X burner.

I know people often say burn at 8X with 16X media so I don't know if that means to always cut it in half or if I can safely max out with 8X media.

Wow, I think I covered any possible question I could have now, unless something else goes wrong *knock on wood*

In addition to helping me out, I really hope this thorough thread helps many more people down the road.

13. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

its a good chance when you get your Taiyo Yudens they will code out as TYGO3s 16x media. if you do get the TYGO2s 8x burning at 8x is fine if you want to drop it down to 6x to be on the safe side you can.

download DVD Identifier and see what thet code out as

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

14. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Thank you; this is definitely useful information!

I am encoding The Godfather with RB and it says reduction level is at 55.6% using DVD5. I am thinking this is probably the worst % it can be going from DVD9 to DVD5. Should I still be fine even with movies that have this much compression as long as I am using Rebuilder?

Lastly, if I ever want to make a copy of a copy, do I use DVDFab DVD Clone option or will I use only IMGBurn for this situation? In IMGburn, which option should I use?

15. creaky

I personally do 8x max on any of my burners, whether i'm using 8x or 16 discs (or multiple simultaneous burns of the same movie/disc or a mix of 8x and 16x discs on multiple simultaneous burns), that also applies if i'm using internal and USB2.0 connected burners, or a mix of internal/external burners, or even a mix of 8x/16x discs across internal &external burners. I think USB2.0 burners have a ceiling of 8x max burning anyway and as for internal burners i often read of people regularly doing 12x on internal burners (on 16x and possibly on 8x discs also)

I think you have covered everything. It just has to start working by now :)

I'll be adding a link to this thread in my shoutbox profile as it will definitely come in useful for future reference. You've been asking far more questions than most people usually do, which is a good thing, and a welcome change from most threads we get :)

i recently did one or 2 seasons of Battlestar Galactica, lots of dark scenes (obviously) and they came out very well indeed. The reduction level was 48% if i remember correctly, but no more than 49%!. With my Quad Core machine it only takes around 43mins to do a movie, maybe a tad longer for a concert/episodic disc, so if the original disc wasn't of the best quality it doesn't take long to see if you're happy with the results. I use primarily the free HC encoder, which is very very good indeed at the latest version, 0.23. For dark scenes/discs you can apparantly tweak the 'luminance gain' in Rebuilder but it's not something i've messed with, maybe i will one day but i'm always happy enough with the results even down to 48%.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

thanks for the help creaky lol

17. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

So, when a person upgrades to the newest HC Encoder, does that help improve quality or only speed?

Also, I am just curious about how to use IMGburn to make a copy of a backup disc. Which option do I choose? I am pretty sure I do not need DVD Fab or anything else.

18. creaky

Like any update, it would depend on what's been listed in the changelog.

As to ripping/burning a backup of a backup, there's many ways to do this; i personally just use Windows explorer to copy/paste the VIDEO_TS folder, then burn using Nero or Imgburn.

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

with imgburn all you do is

ISO read (that reads a temp file to the HDD)

then

ISO write (writing the file to your blank media)

20. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Had no problem with this title and the latest version of DVDFab 5.0.3.0.
    Actually just looked and the latest stable version is 5.0.5.0. Had to correct myself before Creaky slapped my hand.:)

J

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008