1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time AnyDVD and CloneDVD user; also DVD-RB discussions within

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by trotsky77, Jun 14, 2008.

1. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I am trying to upgrade the HC Encoder. I almost got it but I am still getting issues. I tried renaming the new main exe file to replace the HCbatch.exe file and then I just copy/paste the other new files and that did not work. It is failing to create the m2v files.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

here's what i did - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/664270/4054660

3. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I cannot find a place under setup with this free DVD RB version to point to HCencoder.

Maybe I need to start all over? I did change the HC0.23 file to HCbatch and then I copied over all of the new files and got rid of all old ones (maybe that was a mistake?)

I am running late to work now so I gotta go. Any suggestions to "point" me in the right direction will be appreciated. :)

4. creaky

Ah, the link i posted was from a thread for the freebie DVD-RB version. Don't know as i use the Pro version.

5. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I have done a decent amount of searching. Maybe a person just simply cannot upgrade HCEncoder within the free version of DVD RB. Is it a big deal if I just stick it out with version 0.19 of HCEncoder? I don't have much experience with this sort of thing to even understand the difference in the changelogs from 0.19 through 0.23.

6. creaky

Just see what the resulting movie/movies are like..

I only started using HC a few versions ago.
    Most programs i just go for the updates just because they're there, often times i don't have the problems mentioned in the changelogs..

The thing that caught my eye in 0.23 was 'multiprocessor support'.

7. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

8. creaky

Indeed. You forgot to mention avisynth before otherwise we'd have got you HC encoding sooner :) :)

9. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

This worked perfectly :) I have yet to burn/watch the disc, but the encoding did not have an error after I used VobBlanker.

Thank you! :)

10. creaky

No problem, that's why we're all here.

p.s. while we're on the subject of VobBlanker, sometimes DVD-RB will output an error message and then complete, such as this (the error is from Phase III REBUILD) -

..if ever you see that error, just run VobBlanker thru the video files then point DVD-RB at the folder output by VobBlanker.

To avoid that error (and another error that escapes me right now) i used to use VobBlanker on every single movie/episodic/concert that was to be encoded with DVD-RB. These days i just rip and use DVD-RB, it's just that the above error only occurs right at the end of Phase III ie once DVD-RB has done most of it's work (ie you won't know if it's going to fail until near the end of an encode). Just something to bear in mind if and when you see that error.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  11. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Good advice to just run vobblanker on all dvds before DVD RB.

So, if I don't always scroll up to read the entire rebuild process, there might be errors I am not aware of? I was thinking errors would all popup to let me know.

If there are errors like the ones we are talking about, do the discs play back at all? How are the discs usually affected?

12. creaky

As i say, i used to use VobBlanker by default prior to all DVD-RB work, i can't remember why the above error occurs or what triggers it, but suffice it to say i don't see it much anymore. One of the errors was due to DVDFab not 'cleaning' the files correctly ie the rips were'nt as good as they might have been. I and a few posters over at the cdfreaks site kept pushing the issue and eventually DVDFab was updated to stop DVD-RB barfing.

The error above is right at the end of an encode so you won't miss it, it'll always be visible at the end of the Status log in the DVD-RB program ie you'll see it onscreen before you close DVD-RB.

Here's the thread re DVD-RB barfing, i recall you want to setup DVD-RB in batch mode so i can see you don't want movies messed up in a batch - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/589662/3566757 - then see my later reply here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/589662/3619751 where it was finally resolved).
    (though you shouldn't see the error mentioned in that link in future as DVDFab was updated to stop this happening)..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  13. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Forrest Gump burned just as good as the original! Woohoo! This was the disc giving me the most problems so I think the issue has finally been resolved between the media and the new player. At first I was a little disappointed with some white specks randomly throughout the movie, but then when I played the original, there were specks in those exact same locations. I better knock on wood quick, but I think we have a success here; finally. :)

Thanks again everyone for your help, patience, and support!!!

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

and you got the Taiyo Yudens right?

15. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Yuppers, I finally got them today. I would have had them on Friday if it weren't for the holiday.

I still cannot get over how this should be simple project turned into a several month nightmare. I just gotta be careful what I say so I don't jinx myself. ;-)

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

did they code out as TYGO3s 16x or TYGO2s 8x ?

17. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

They are TYG02s.

18. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I still haven't had much time to watch many of the burned DVDs. However, here are a few things.

1) I am coming across a few more DVDs which have that error. It is pretty bad that it isn't until the 100% mark that the error reveals itself. If this is an issue from DVDFab, hopefully this improves as there is nothing worse than batching a bunch of DVDs to return later and see it stopped after just a few DVDs. So far South Park and Friends have DVDs with this issue.

2) For whatever reason my DVDs have subtitles on at startup. I am not planning to use these subtitles. I will just keep things going how they are and turn subtitles off every time. However, it would have been nice to not have subtitles pop on as default. I have read that FixVTS might fix this issue. I guess clicking the subtitle button once to turn them off will save more time than using yet another program for every DVD.

3) Regarding the white specks in movies, there is the same frequency in the originals as the copies. I wonder if this is an issue with the player, with the source maybe being scratched, or if that is just how the movies are.

19. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

@ trotsky77
    I sure hate to see you having any problems after all that you have went through. Just thought I would pass on some info , new version of DVDFab out today 5.0.6.0, might be beneficial to some of your problems. Happy burning.
    http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  20. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Well, you aren't going to believe this but I am still having issues playing back my DVDs. I finally had some time to watch a few more discs. 33 minutes into The Godfather 2 disc 2 (only a 1 hour and 13 minute disc) it started to get a little pixelation and blurring and then it skipped a little then it froze completely.

Now, I was doing some research on the white specks and it sounds like I might need a better connection for my TV. I have a 19 inch generic TV from 1999 and it uses the red, white, and yellow connection (I always forget which is component and which is composite). Anyways, I am wondering if my pixelation and freeze issues might be due to the connection somehow? I mean, I have tried EVERYTHING else possible I thought. Now that I think of it though, a better connection might help with pixelation but I do not know how it would help with freezing. Freezing seems more like an issue with the media or the player.