1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time at adding subtitles

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by carlmart, Nov 27, 2005.

1. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

OK. I have a feature which is splitted in two avi files, and I downloaded a *.sub file with the subtitles.

I already did a test with the avi part 1 and it played the subtitles alright.

So now I would like to know how and if I will get the subtitles when I go through the procedures of the DVD burn.

What I use is Procoder to do the avi to mpeg conversion, TMPEG to do the vob files, DVD Shrink to fit the files on the disk and CloneDVD to burn the disk.

When will the subtitles file be merged with the DVD files? Which program will do that?

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You should set the correct bitrate when encoding, then you don't need to Shrink. The subtitles are added either at the encoding stage (hard subbed) or at the authoring stage. TMPGEnc DVD author doesn't support subtitles so you would need to use a different authoring package or hard encode them.

3. carlmart

carlmart Regular member

The question is to know which is the correct bitrate for encoding.

How do I add the titles at the encoding stage? Procoder does not seem to support that.

Which program other than TMPGEnc DVD Author supports subtitles?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well you know the length of the movie, the size of the media, etc. so the bitrate is easy.

Assuming that Procoder doesn't do dshow input you would need to frameserve the video with subs.
    part1 = avisource("part1.avi")
    part2 = avisource("part2.avi")
    part1++part2
    textsub("movie.sub")
    etc.

DVDLabPro for one does subs.

5. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

you can check bitrate with AVICodec for instance.

If you use Subtitle Workshop (awesome tool) you can select the FPS and the program will modify the subtitles accordingly.

Subtitle Workshop also allows to merge your subtitle files and synch it with the movie.