1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'First time build' - Low Budget system for 3ds max & Autocad

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Wpsp, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

I'm thinking about building a desktop computer that will be optimized for use with 3ds max and autocad. I am on a very low budget so let me no if i'm wasting my time. I don't want to spend any more than £400 on components but i will buy moniter, keyboard, mouse, speakers etc out of another budget. I have never built a pc before so wouldn't no where to start. (If there is a general tutorial of pc building floating around I will be gratefull for the link.) I don't know any technical info about what i may be buying so bare with me as i will have to take the experts word for it, which is why i'm on here...

Obviously within my budget i will need the usual:

Case,
    Motherboard,
    CPU,
    Graphics card,
    RAM,
    DVD writer,
    Power Supply,
    Fans,
    HDD,
    anything else vital etc.....

I will be running either xp 64-bit or vista 64-bit so that i can use 3dsmax and autocad with more than 4GB of ram. (hoping to run 8GB or whatever you reccommend as i know ram doesn't have to be expensive.)

My main aim for this build is to have a pc with fast 3d rendering power as the one i use at work isn't fast enough for what i want to acheive in the future. (although this pc is going to be for personal use)

- heres a thread i posted a while back about the pc at work so you know what i consider "SLOW" : http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/679155

I will need to render still images/scenes with ease and hope to maybe move on to some 3d moving walthroughs of things i have modelled. I have been told about the importance of graphics cards with 3d applications although i know that the CPU and Memory are of the most important for 3ds and Acad; as realtime rendering isn't too much of a problem when mostly working in wireframe. But again, i wouldn't know haha. People have also talked about 'workstation graphics cards' (which i am oblivious to??...and surely out of my budget)

I'm not really sure what is-and-isn't a good cpu, but I would like an intel quad core cpu. My reason for this is because i have heard that multi-core processors are a must for 3d rendering.

If this sounds realistic enough could someone please put together a shopping list for me and any helpfull info.

Thanks.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

On a low budget, you will want nothing other than a Core 2 Quad Q6600. Use Vista 64-bit, the 64-bit version of XP is nothing but trouble.

3. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the only problem is the workstation card; they will easily kill your budget. you cannot skimp on the card, or else 3ds max and autocad won't render fast enough.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A proper workstation card costs thousands, you'll just have to make do without.

5. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

I can get one for £120, will the rest make up the remaining £380 or could i stretch to a more expensive cpu?

Is a Intel Xeon Quad Core E5430 2.66GHz any good? I've just seen a used one on ebay go for just over £150. I can get a Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz for £180 from there?. These are just a suggestions of course as i don't no what the rest of the setup will cost me....like i said, i havn't got a clue. Theres so many CPU's to choose from and they're all just names and numbers to me haha.

However, if someone could provide me with a list of a compatible setup to go with the core 2 quad Q6600, that would be brilliant.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm going to assume 120 is for the 6600.
    If you spend 180 on a CPU you won't have enough for the rest of the stuff.

7. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

yes i meant the Q6600 lol, i didn't realise you had posted about the workstation.

Oh rite, sounds like i'll be going for that then. What do you think i should spend on a graphics card?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends how it'll fit in your budget really, like that I don't think more than about £75 will be possible, so perhaps an 8800GS.

9. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

ok, thats now added to my list. I suppose it doesn't matter how much i spen on a case does it? and HDD etc?

Also, what Motherboard will be compatible?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, but more expensive ones are better quality. Above all make sure you pay for a decent PSU like an Antec Earthwatts, PSUs that come with cases are universally crap, unless they are the said Antec unit.

11. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

Sorry for my ignorance you are great help, but how do i know what power supply to use? e.g. wattage?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Buy an Antec Earthwatts 380W and you'll be fine.

13. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

will this be ok for the uk?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, I too am in the UK.

15. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

oh rite, its just it seems there are alot of american users on here lol. Could you reccommend a motherboard please mate?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

brilliant mate! Thanks for your help, I think i'll get ordering it tomorrow. Does the setup sound ok to you?

18. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

Yeh I see what you mean, well I will probably end up adding the next 4GB shortly after anyway.

I really appreciate your help mate, you've been spot on.