1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Virus on two Mac computers found!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by tocool4u2, May 1, 2006.

1. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Old news. It is not a virus since you need to download the application and run it. The problem was that the application was disguising itself as a .jpg file but that has now been fixed and if you try to open the .jpg the OS will let you know that it is actually an application and will ask you whether you still want to open it. If you do so, you are stupid.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/02/16/apple.downplays.new.worm/

It is amazing how hard Microsoft and the security vendors are trying to scare Mac users.

3. tocool4u2

tocool4u2 Guest

Oh really......I thought it was knew since it was in the paper and on msnbc....But yea now mac has invulneribilties

4. whynotask

whynotask Member

Gee front page (or should I say "Frontpage") news: MACs vulnerable to virus. Two people's MAC's have virus after they installed it.

Two people - Wow that's an epidemic. Big news on MSNBC . . . ' wonder what the MS stands for.

Is it really a virus? Does it propagate, replicate, etc. Or is it malware that was, however unintentionally, INSTALLED BY THE USER. A big reason folks turn to MACs is that they cannot get their arms around some of the computer savy that helps when using a PC. Given the near complete lack of OS level computer savy of many MAC users, and near complete lack of antivirus software out there for MACs, if there was a virus problem it would spread like wildfire. We would see tens of thousands of infections, not one or two.

MACs are not virus or malware proof though, just more resistant. Much of this is thanks to less autorun/auto-open features and not mixing application and OS functions and libraries all together (that and a halfway decent multi-tiered ownership/grouping/permissions scheme). There is nothing like being based on a much older and more robust OS (BSD Unix) whose initial design was by truly brilliant programmers and researchers. Then 30 plus years of tweeking by tens of thousands of users and career programmers worldwide - before it became mainstream popular - didn't hurt.

But nothing is bullet proof. I've crashed and corrupted dozens (well a dozen or so anyway) of my Unix boxes (in a variety of flavors) - and done so both intentionally and accidentally.