1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting the Greek Wedding and other titles on just one disk?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JTZO7, Mar 6, 2003.

1. JTZO7

JTZO7 Guest

I can't seem to fit that movie and other current releases onto just one 4.7G DVD-R yet I have seen others claim they have.

As soon as I insert the disk it does not get a message asking me if I would like to omit the special features to fit it onto one disk so how are people doing it?

Is it because I use widescreen?

By buddy who also uses DVDXCOPY is also having this problem....

What gives?

Any help on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. bigmt

bigmt Member

Big Fat Greek Wedding contains both widescreen and regular view. Use DVD Decrypter (file mode) or your favorite ripper and rip the widescreen or regular .VOB files.
    Keyword being 'or' meaning one or the other; not both.

Also, rip the .ifo and .bup files.

There should be two large sets of .vob files (4 files approx 4G+). One set is widescreen, and one set being regular view.

Use Nero or your favorite burning app to burn.

One version will fit onto one disc nicely.

3. JTZO7

JTZO7 Guest

Both versions? On my copy it says Widescreen and on my girlfriends copy it says fullscreen right on the disc......

-Are you sure we have both versions in there?

-Is DVDencrypter a free download?

4. bigmt

bigmt Member

Interesting..
    The version that I borrowed had both widescreen and normal viewing modes. Total of 8G+ disc.
    Not sure how many different versions there are.

When you play the dvd, in the menu, does it offer only both modes or just one viewing mode?

Either way, you can try to rip just the essential movie with decrypter (can be found in software section of this site) - minus the bonus features.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

5. JTZO7

JTZO7 Guest

Wierd...

This disc still totals about 8G or so yet only has one version

It only says play in the menu.

On the back of the DVD case it mentions 1.85:1 and Dolby Digital etc but does not mention 1.33:1 anywhere. On the disc itself it also says widescreen.

I am also noticing the DVDs that I bought between 97-2001 can all fit on one disc yet current releases somehow need around 7-8G space to fit.

Is there any chance that they included both versions on this disc just to run up the price of copying (due to the capicity) and just didn't include a selection in the menu to access both versions?

It seems to me that DVDs made from the time that burners came out till now have a lot more info on them than the ones that were made before home DVD burners were common. I think the studios are doing that on purpose to make backup copies less attractive to the public.

GoldenEye, one of the first DVDs I bought, is a little over 2 hours long with amazing resolution and fits onto one disc yet
    "Dude Where's My Car" needed two discs?

6. princy1

princy1 Guest

I had the same problem when I tried to burn a backup of Minority Report. The easiest way to backup a movie of this size is to rip the main movie and soundtrack from the Dvd, re-encode it to a size small enough to fit on a Dvd-r and burn it. For the easiest to follow guide I've seen anywhere goto http://dvd2dvdr.com/Spruce_Guide.htm

7. crowds

crowds Member

Try DVD2one or DVD95copy. They both strip out all the stuff you dont need and if it still wont fit they re-encode to the maximum disk size so quality wont suffer in any real noticable way.
    Crowds

8. malum

malum Regular member

DVD95copy won't strip out extras (in it's current version) and if the disc has the widescreen and regular versions of the movie on it it treats one of them as an extra and compresses it to fit on the disc alongside the other version. You can imagine the consequence of doing that on the quality of the supercompressed version and the knock on effect on the less compressed version.

9. rschultz

rschultz Member

i made a copy of greek wedding using ,dvd decrypter then dvd2one then copytodvd to burn it.works fine on my sony player.