1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitting The VHS on Single DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by GAloys, Feb 27, 2004.

1. GAloys

GAloys Member

I am capturing my VHS to AVI, using HuffyUV, then encoding to MPEG2 using the MainConcept encoder. In trying to maximize bit rate, I sometimes exceed the single DVD limit by a few hundred megs. So, I tried to use DVD Shrink only to find that I must set up a virtual drive. Reading posts, I find that DVD ImgTool is the ticket for that. However, when I tried to download ImgTool .89, it is no longer available because of some copyright question. So, my question is: what free software is available that will configure a virtual drive so that I can use DVD Shrink to reduce my file ? Also, would I be better off erring on the side of reducing the MainConcept encoder bit rate in the beginning rather than having to shrink later ? Thanks for any help.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You are Better off getting a Bitrate Ca;culator and encode the Video useing the Correct Bitrate in the First Place than useing DVD-Shrink on it afterwords because it is Just another Encodeing step that degrades the Quality ...And don"t use LPCM as the Audio format in Mainconcept because it takes up Far too much space on the DVD ,Allways use Mpeg1 Layer 2 or get yourself an Dolby AC3 encoder...If you want a Bitrate calculator just PM Me with your e-mail address and I"ll send you one...Cheers

3. GAloys

GAloys Member

Thanks Minion. I figured that was the case on the recoding. I calculate the bit rate - just a little over zealous in trying to maximize quality and sometimes overshoot on the estimate. Have another question. I use a WinFast 2000 XP Deluxe and am wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to the 10 bit 2000 XP Expert ? My thinking is that if I were doing HDTV or some such, it would make sense. But, capturing VHS, will I really see much difference between 8 bit and 10 bit ? Any thoughts on this ? Thanks.

4. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

I just go on creating the folders and files for a dvd disc,on HD,
    (ignoring warnings of sizes..)
    with my authoring prog. and use DVD Schrink on the
    VIDEO_TS folder.. works fine, no extra progs. needed..
    i don't see any quality loss, or, you can set bit rates at a higher value, when you encode AVI to MPEG to compesate quality loss later too...

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well there is Quite a Quality differance from the 8 bit BT878A Type Cards and the new 10 bit Cards but Like you said a lot of it has to do with the Video Source..I presently Just Use a Simple ATI Radeon VIVO Card and it"s Quality is pretty good ,Better than My old BT878A 8-Bit card but I think I am going to get a High Quality Capture Device but I"ll have to spend about $200 to $250 ,I was thinking of the Canopus ACEDVio or maybe an ADVC-55, these are High end Analogue/Digital converters and are meant for Transfering Analogue material Like VHS Tapes and TV Signals or any analoge Signal to High Quality Digital DV Format ,They are the way to go if you really want High Quality VHS to DV Transfers....Cheers

6. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

Yes, Minion, I've got the ADVC100, also for it's
    Macrovision "cheat" Canopus is the best, you can't
    go wrong there, but it costs some, i guess most people
    have allready spend the same amount on card "duds"