1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing "audiobooksforfree.com" downloads!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dr_dot, Dec 9, 2004.

1. dr_dot

dr_dot Member

This site has some cool audiobooks for free, but the quality is awful. They give free dl's at 8kbs and sell the dl's at higher bit rates.

I have resampled the 8kbs files with MP3doctor, Musicmatch, LAME (aumpel) and ACID4.0. All to high bit rates but they quality is still awful, just a larger file size is the result.

If anyone could tell me of a way to clean these up and make them listenable, I would be GREATLY appreciative.

Thanks for any help. Here is a link straight to a dl (Kipling poems) for an example of what the 8kb offering sounds like. Could it be that the 48kb file that they sell sounds just as bad?

http://dl.audiobooksforfree.com/2/01000442000821281027/Kiplings Poems - MARY GLOSTER 01_01.mp3

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

If the original quality of the audio files are 8khz, then up-sampling them to 44.1 or 48khz is not going to make any different. Think of it like this: If you have a record that has really deep scratches in it, washing it, cleaning it, and getting better needles aren't going to make it sound better. Okay, dumb analogy, but you can't make the quality of something better by increasing the sample rate. If you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses, and put a Oakley logo on them, they're still cheap sunglasses. (another lame analogy...)

3. Veblin

Veblin Active member

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

lol. very nice Veblin