1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixing HDD, IDE Question.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Tanubi, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Tanubi

Tanubi Member

My old xbox's hard drive had some very important files deleted by some idiot who was staying with me. I now need to repair the files on the hard drive but my problem is that my dekstop is broken and I am short on cash. I need to buy a new very modern Sata computer but fixing my hard drive is more important to me and I will buy an IDE computer if I have to.

My question is can I use a SATA based desktop computer to fix and upgrade and xbox hard drive? and if so, can this be done by using a pci ide adapter? any information would be very helpful to me.

2. anthonygg

anthonygg Guest

i have a dell dimension 3100 kinda old but it ha sata and ide. i would try to find some thing like that. if you go just sata try this. it should work but never tried.

3. Tanubi

Tanubi Member

That's good, I have one of those laying about that I baught by mistake. So, in theory this might work on a Sata mother board to connect the xbox IDE? I noticed you need to set the xbox hard drive to Master but obviously on Sata based computers you wouldn't be able to, would this just accept it without the need to set xbox hard drive to master?

4. anthonygg

anthonygg Guest

well im not sure but it never hurts to try. i know some people use sata hdd on xbox so why wouldnt this work.

5. Tanubi

Tanubi Member

Ok, I did try it and couldn't seem to pick up the hard drive. I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong or just the adapter but it just wouldn't pick up my hard drive in XBHDM. Obviously I can't set the IDE to master because it's Sata and my bios just show SATA 1 : Sata 2 and so on. Thanks very much for the help though I really am greatful.

I guess now my best bet is to get a chip for it rather than waste money on a computer that may not work. I have spent 6 hours looking for chips and can't seem to find anywhere that still sells them. You wouldn't know any place in the uk or us with shipping that sells xbox chips would you?

6. anthonygg

anthonygg Guest

dont know about the chips but you can pick up an old computer really cheap sometimes under 50 dollers. that is what i would do rather than buying a chip.

7. Tanubi

Tanubi Member

Your right, it's looking like the only thing I can do anymore. Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate it.

8. anthonygg

anthonygg Guest

ya man no problem