1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.flac 5.1 to ps3 compatible format - Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by salvysrc, Jul 9, 2008.

1. salvysrc

salvysrc Member

Hi
    Im new to the forum but i can usually find my way around a home theatre setup. I've downloaded some .flac 5.1 tracks that i want to play on my PS3 which is connected thru TOSLINK to my HT receiver. I coverted the file to ".wav" using "eac3to" but the Linear PCM 5.1 which i thought the PS supports is reported as unsupported data :-(
    I tried ".dts" but the file is not even detected. ".AC3" doesnt seem to work either...
    :-|
    Is it because the PS3 doesnt natively support ".flac"
    What can i do to get these tracks workin on 5.1 with as little loss as possible??
    Any suggestions???

2. 5882300

5882300 Member

How are you getting these files onto your ps3? Pin drive? DVD? I've only dabbled with this kind of thing, but my advice would be to try and find a media server that transcodes on the fly.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

LPCM 5.1 on PS3 is only "supported" in Blu Ray.
    ANd to author these discs you will need either SCenarist 4 BD Edition or Sony's Blu Print.
    Plus AACS site licenses.
    Very expensive.

You will IMHO be better off trying to either
    A - Play a DVD-A (Unsupported by Sony) created with something like Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo or
    B - Take your FLAC files & play them through VLC Media player with an output via TOSLink (assuming a maximum sample rate of 48KHz) to your reciever from a computer.
    If your files are 24/96, then they will never work down TOSlink or CoAxial.