1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flash drives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by whiskey99, Dec 29, 2013.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I bought a 8GB flash drives with idea of downloading some security programs that i can
    use anywhere,but not sure how to go about doing same as i have not used a flash drive before what is the procedure on how to do this.
    There are 4 programs i would like to put on a flash drive can this be done without over writing each one of them,thanks

2. aldan

aldan Active member

just go to their download sites and when prompted save it to you flash drive instead of your downloads or desktop.there is no overwriting.do,however,make sure your flash drive is plugged in.you can install the programs from your flash drive the same as you normally would from downloads etc.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when the program asks to run or save do the save to your stick but do not run that program as will install onto the pc not the flashdrive.

4. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Thank you all for the info.
    Have a good NEW YEAR,Hope next year will be a little better.

5. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Well i got the the 8GB flash drive taken care of,now for another project that appears to be easy for some that have used USB sticks before,but thsi i am not to clear on how to do it.
    This what have that is causing me some problems,i had a WD X-TERNAL HDD that i thought was going to work as a backup for my old PC HDD so i hooked it up the PC and did what thought was going to be a backup,well i decided since WINXP updates were going away i thought that by using this backup idea that help inthe future,wrong.
    I bought a SEAGATE SSDH HYBRID HDD and WIN 7 BUILDERS OS,put HDD in my PC,installed the OS,
    then i decided to transfer all of the data from WD X-TERNAL HDD to new HDD,wrong again as the HDD would not transfer any data to new HDD checked health of WD HDD and it turns out to be DOA is also out of warranty time now have to figure out new scheme to transfer data so thats where the USB idea comes in at.
    I show about 69GB'S on old HDD and would like to use a USB to transfer all of the data on old HDD to the USB just do not know how to do it yet,the USB seems safer and about same cost.
    Do you think this is a good idea and can i get all of the data on a 64GB USB as i believe
    some can be compressed if not will go to 128GB USB,sorry for the long post but only way to get my thoughts to you,thank you

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. aldan

aldan Active member

if you have windows 7 installed and working on the new hdd all you really need is any data from the old drive that you want to save.programs will likely need to be redownloaded and installed.you can go to my computer and open the hdd to view files.simply right click the file you want to move and drag it to your usb stick which should be visible in my computer.or you can right click on a file and select copy and then paste it to your usb stick.whatever is easiest for you.

7. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,aldan,I was wondering if i could just buy a 32GB or 64GB flash drive and use that transfer files and folders a little at a time so i do not have to spend a lot money on like a 128GB flash drive it would whole cheaper and accomplish the same job does this sound reasonable to you.
    Also how do i go about getting my book marks or are they in the files and folders i will be transferring as you probably notice i know just about enough about PC'S to make one silly to many.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

you will likely have to redo all your bookmarks as well as programs.i would only transfer things like pictures and other personal data.if you want to do it a little at a time thats not a problem.

9. ddp

whiskey99, where is your old data stored on?

10. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,All of data is on an 8YR.old HDD that may be go away when ever it feels like it which will be when my backs turned.
    On the book marks could they be put in a folder,put on a flash drive and down loaded on the new HDD.
    The old HDD is in the same PC as the new SSDH HYBRID HDD with WIN 7 OS.

11. aldan

aldan Active member

your best bet is to redo your bookmarks.not that hard.

12. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,I HAVE the data on an 8 yr. old PC which may go away when ever.heres a way to transfer bookmarks on FIREFOX.
    Click on bookmarks>show all bookmarks>import backup>click export bookmarks to HTML.
    I sent my bookmarks to the desktop,but when you look at them it tells you all of what each
    bookmark is about so i do not know if it goes down to heading about the bookmark only you will have to do it to see what i mean,but with the HTML on desktop all you have to do load
    what is in the HTML to a flash drive i believe.

13. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,ddp,Well i went ahead and off loaded all of my bookmarks like the FIREFOX post said to do it,the bookmarks were in the HTML on my desktop plugged flash drive in and transfered them to the flash drive then to new HDD,clicked on flash drive in my computer and there they were in all of their glory,like i said you get the whole spiel about what is in the bookmark,but it works.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Well i have learned how to get stuff off flash drive to desktop so now all of my bookmarks
    are on the desktop.

15. ddp

don't leave them om your desktop.