1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flash player 11

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Apr 26, 2012.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am trying to use my flash player as required from a number of web sites that request it. When I try to play a video, the site displays message "GET FLASH PLAYER 11 TO WATCH VIDEO" I already have it installed. When I try to use the link provided by the site, The player fails to install. Another message is displayed by the installer, "ANOTHER INSTANCE OF THE PLAYER IS IN USE? Why doe the site request it, why does it fail to install. Other sites also use FLASH but do not ask for it. Solutions please. I should mention I am using IE8 when I noticed this issue. OPERA and FIREFOX work perfectly with these same sites. Is IE incompatible with FLASH? Or is there a setting to be made? Very frustrating.Move as needed.

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I guess if you disabled the add ons then fash player isn't working then.You will probably ahve to enable it again.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I just went through that, twice. At present the entire list has been renabled. I am usig FIREFOX looking for those same sites that rejected FLASH. If it works I will try the same site with FLASH. If the issue remains, I will not use IE for this reason. The "RUNNING WITHOUT ADD-ONS" screen persists. That is reason enough to not use IE. I know it is only one click to get to HOME, but it should not be that way. It was not that way with IE6.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

list the sites as i use ie8 with flash player. goto http://adobe.com to get latest flash player.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I would but these are ADULT in nature if you get my drift. I am using FLASH 11. FF and OPERA work well with these same sites so not having IE8 work is not a big loss. I am more concerned that I cannot get rid of the "RUNNING WITHOUT ADD-ONS" page that appears every time I open IE. One click on HOME to get to the HOME page, in my case MSN. Not a big deal except it should not be this way unless this is built in to the browser. A solution would be nice. The FLASH, the same one I already have, will not reinstall using the link on the sites page, "ERROR,ANOTHER INSTANCE IS ALREADY RUNNING". Frustrating but not a deal breaker. It is possible that these sites are not compatible with this combination. Just a guess.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

pm me the list as long as i don't have to register or whatever so i can see if have problem or not.

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I do not want to offend you so I will decline to do that. I would suggest you go to any number of sites that feature videos, using IE8 and see if any asks for FLASH 11 before the video plays. That is in my opinion in error since FLASH 11 is already installed. FF and OPERA do NOT display that message. I have been asked to download a video codec in order to play, but that is usually another player or download manager. A different issue. Let me know what you find. If a given site gives you what I experienced, tell me which site and I will try for myself.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

like ddp said,go the the adobe site and download flash from there.once you have done that,make sure it is enabled in your addons.i know you said you enabled all of them but humor me here and check.also check that the version installed is the version you downloaded from adobe just to be sure the install went ok.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

doesn't xp have two versions of IE a safe mode with addons disabled & the normal one or has it been that long since i've used xp

10. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I rechecked yet a 4th time and found nothing wrong. As I said this is not a deal breaker, just an annoyence. The other browsers work well with these same sites.

11. aldan

aldan Active member

you know,now that i think of it,i had the same thing happen with flash and xp.i pretty much did what you did,reinstall when it asked me to.it was a real pain.i think i went back to ei7 and it was all right after that.wasnt real stuck on ie8 anyways.

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Perhaps reinstall will fix it or in combo with a flash removal tool then a registry cleanup,even going into where flash .dll's are installed & deleting them including the registry entries,however there is no mention as to whether IE8 was fine before & now flash is no longer working or whether this has been on going since IE8 was installed,well a scan for malware could be on the cards

13. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I cannot tell you if this is a new issue or ongoing since I do not use IE very much, nor do I watch online video often. The only clue I can give you is that OPERA AND FF have never asked me to install FLASH in order to watch the streaming video. The video plays in auto mode regardless of the format or codec used that I would not know. It is only IE8 that asks for FLASH but not every time. It depends on what site I am using opened with IE.This is not a deal breaker. On another note I did notice that most of my favorite movie sites such as 10STAR, MOVIES NOW, MOVIES25, and others no longer provide working links to the title searched for. They now redirect to a PAID site such as MOVIE LUSH, CINEBLE or others. For practical reasons FREE movie watching on line is no more. Is there a solution? As for FLASH what you suggest is well beyond me.