1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing Firmware

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by LABOY, Mar 10, 2005.

1. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

I am a noobie at this and would appreciate some guidance. I want to update the firmare on my Pioneer 106D. It still has original v1.0. I know where to get updates (www.rpc1.org); but don't know what to expect should I start the flashing process. Is it a matter of just double clicking on a exe file or do I need a flasher, do I have to go into MS-DOS mode??? I've heard a lot of caveats about flashing going wrong, so I guess I am just a little leary. I've read many threads about people flashing firmware, so it must be a usual thing for many. Can someone give me a guide on how to flash firmware or what to expect once I download the update from rpc1???
    Many thanks...

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you are unsure how to do it, read the instructions for flashing, on the Pioneer website.

3. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

GrandpaBW, I have searched in the Pioneer website before I posted and again after your reply. I can't find anything on flashing. Obviously, I must be missing something you know or have seen.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

This might help you.http://www.americal.com/pg/dvd-burner-writer-firmware-version-updates-downloads.html?OVRAW=firmware%20updates&OVKEY=firmware%20update&OVMTC=standard

5. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I am glad to see that you got things squared away, Laboy.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

No problemo Laboy, Good Luck and burn baby burn!

8. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Everything isn't quite squared away. Everything points to the fact that I have a Pioneer DVR 106D (e.g. Nero InfoTools, other burning software programs, the Windows Device Manager, etc.). So I went to the Pioneer site, download the latest firmware for the 106d ,i.e.,v1.08 and when I tried to install the firmware it said "target device not found." Which I assume means the firmware and the drive don't match up..Any suggestions for the next step...

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Pioneer has info for you when you have that problem :~ Look it up here --> http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00004r_e.html

also if your drive is an OEM drive , here's a warning from Pioneer !

"" This firmware utility is not proper for updating OEM drive.
    For users of OEM drive, please contact each PC maker for assistance when updating. ""

Is yours an OEM drive ??

By the way why not use the Manufacturer Firmware Update from their WEBSITE ! It's there :- scroll down to your model ~~

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html

You must have done if you follow that thread GrandpaBW gave you -- did you !~~ Smiles. Download it again, your download may have been corrupted.
    Edited for typos!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
  10. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Thanks for your reply Jeanc1. As posted earlier I did try the Pioneer firmware from their site and got the "target device not found" error. This burner is the original burner in a Sony VAIO desktop. Even though all programs identify it as a DVR Pioneer 106D, I am beginning to believe that it is an OEM version and not the true original. I e-mailed Sony for help and got a canned non-useful reply--basically they don't service or update things like this that are not their own brand,in essence, go to the manufacturer. Then you go to the manufacturer and they don't service OEM's. Got me in a do-loop.

I haven't given up looking and I do appreciate the help for you all...

11. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That is an OEM drive -- !! Maybe if you were to raise a small tantrum with SONY ~~ like give them the URL and the quote from Pioneer about OEM drives are to be upgraded by them ~~~ Sony may help you out after all !

Good Luck !