1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing question.

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by chopcity, May 15, 2007.

1. chopcity

chopcity Member

Hey guys, i looked at the sl1 contact, still not sure exactly what it is, i know your supposed to do the left, but it looks like this ( | )
    like 2 halves of a circle. when it says short im guessing the toothpick in tinfoil just connects the 2 halves together. and right next to it is a little screw, now if i touch the screw im dead correct? I was looking at it very close and it seems like just a straight shoot to the 2 half circles. sl1 i guess. like the sides theres nothing but plastic almost like your looking down a chimney. or is that metal? should i wedge some little film of plastic between the screw and the sl1? just incase. ? thanks for your time

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Yes, the foil connects the two semi-circles together. If you touch the screw you have a very large chace of the DS bricking, but it depends how much of FlashMe is installed (if the restore function is installed you can recover, though you will probably need to borrow/buy a cheap slot-2 device) There is also a chance of blowing a fuse on the board if you touch the screw. The sides down to the SL1 are plastic.

What I did was use a toothpick with tin foil round the end, and i then covered that with electrical tape for insulation, only leaving the very end open for the SL1 contact, this mehtod succesfully flash several DS's and DS lite's

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  3. chopcity

chopcity Member

Okay because here

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33481

The guy says that in the lites there is a little piece of metal towards the left of the sl1. Never heard of that before but i looked and looked and i did not see one.

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

I can't see it in my DS, however I guess it's better to just be more careful when you do short the SL1 so try to avoid the left too.

On another note, thanks for the link, I didn't realise there was a new FlashMe out, just updated :)

5. chopcity

chopcity Member

Hah yep no problem i like to inadvertently help people. :) Uhm. Ok so with flashing again, im gonna do it for him so if i do everything following those instructions, that guy gave pretty detailed ones, it should work as long as i dont hit the screw or that elusive metal.
    Are there other ways to brick it? Is the flashme firmware that good that as long as it hits 100% its always good to go? Or lets say i get it at 100, is it still possible for it to brick?

6. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Never heard of a brick after a 100% install, I have read that one person did a 100% install and sound or something stopped working, but another attempt at installing fixed it.
    The most common cause of a brick is during the installation and the the power being lost to the unit, either through batteries falling out/power cord comming unplugged/shorting the screw etc.

7. chopcity

chopcity Member

Hmm alright thanks, lol im going to put tape over the battery so it doesnt fall :p. I just wish i could be sure those roms are clean, i mean i know you said its very unlikely they are gonna brick it but ehh i dont know i guess im paranoid. :/ I scanned them with spysweeper and it didnt catch anything.. but someone could just rename the trojan instead of taihen or r0mloader they could just make it say something else but it would be the same trojan..grr..darkfader is a mother****** :O
    unless somehow renaming it wouldnt matter, someone could still just slip it into the rom, like its an actual rom just when you reach a certain point in it boom brick. but then again how would they? haha i know i think about stuff wayyy too much. and once i get goin i just have a hard time stopping.