1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FLASHING THE VIPER!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Neutral1, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Neutral1

Neutral1 Member

Hi everybody. I am sorry if this is a repetitive thread, but this is like my last hope. Here's the deal:

I installed my viper gc correctly. all is good at 100%.

I just can'T get it to flash, like many others.

So I was wondering if there was an alternate flashing utility, or if one is coming out with cobra 1.0.

I am really desperate. I wasted many hours browsing forums and everything, but I stil haven't found an answer.

A little help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jamjars

jamjars Member

when u say u cant get it to flash what exactly is happening?

3. Neutral1

Neutral1 Member

well, I'm connecting it like I'm supposed to, but my computer always say that it does not detect the chip.

4. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I'm sure you already know, but I did this and I couldn't flash my first try. You need to follow the steps exactly like it says or it won't work. You also need to restart your computer first.

I know you probably already know this, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but I know that my first try I didn't do it in order and it didn't work.

Steps: restart computer; open loader program; load the bios in the program; plug GC into your comp (make sure cable is tight); turn on cube; press "write"

also, did u try connecting directly to your computer without a cable?

5. jamjars

jamjars Member

so your following the flashing procedure exactly? making sure the cube is on and that little connector cable is the right way round? strange that it wont pick it up as mine worked first time.

edit: are u using a cable to connect it? when i put my chip in the xbox i used a cable and it wouldnt work but when i plugged it straight in it did work so thats what i did with the cube.i would give that a go.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  6. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

one more thing, I had a problem flashing later because the little black plastic piece on the programmer where the flexwire plugs in was a little loose. I pushed it in and everything worked again. Make sure the flexwire is pushed in all the way on both the programmer and the chip. double check (it can't hurt)

Good Luck.

7. Neutral1

Neutral1 Member

well I've done that procedure about 10-15 times AND on different computers.

BTW thanks 4 the answers

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  8. Artlover

Artlover Member

Quick summary of things to check:

Make sure the blue tab side of the flexicable is up.

Make sure you open the black slider thingy on the connector before trying to insert the flexicable or you'll risk ruining the connector & the cable.

Make sure the flexicable has all it's metal contacts exposed and in the correct position. Even with using the connector propperly, the contacts start to lift after just a few uses. (I had to superglue mine back down).

Check the programmer for missing solder joints. (Mine was missing soldered joints on pins 13 & 25 of the DB25 connector.)

Make sure your printer port is enabled and set how the documentation says.

Don't use an extension cable has a lot of people seem to have problems with them.

Assuming none of these are the problem, then you've got a defective programmer and/or chip. There were a bunch of those going around.

9. Gorvi

Gorvi Member

I am also having the same issues :(

Programmer Version 0502 and Viper-GC version 0446.

All the solder points on the programmer look fine and all the soldering is correct....

Supplier (Bladbouncer.co.uk) is hiding behind his returns policy on me tho...