1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floppy Drive Gone...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by swy00, Nov 29, 2004.

1. swy00

swy00 Member

well, i guess this might seen trivial to some but here goes... i was working with harddrives lately and was all into disconnecting wires and all and accidently took out some other wires... my floppy drive is the only thing i cant seem to get working anymore... or it might be working but not located...

I have windows XP. 2 cable are inserted into the floppy drive...A power cable(not like the harddrive one though ofcourse) and serial(which i tried inserting in both ways)... However, in one of the ways, the green light from the floppy was always on regardless of anything...

Anyone got a clue? is it from the connection or system software...?
    thnx in advance.

Sam

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the fact the green light was on all the time meant cable was in reverse & motherboard sees it. check the device manager & see if yellow exclamation mark is present?? if you have a floppy boot disk try & boot on it

3. swy00

swy00 Member

well, i reversed the cable and inserted it in properly. The green light is off,but my computer still doesnt detect the floppy drive.
    i checked the device manager and there is no exclamation mark...but it is worthy to note there is no floppy either :S...
    This is what i see in device manager:

Floppy Disk Controllers
    Standard Floppy disk controller

(i think this means there is no floppy installed in the first place).This also means i cant boot anything of it...since it doesnt even notice i have a floppy drive present...
    (Note:if i go to BIOS and start up using floppy disk, it doesnt even access the floppy drive. i.e: there is no sound of the dosk being accessed.)

thnx again...waiting for further instructions..

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the floppy seek enabled in bios, if it is & no light on or not boot from floppy than floppy drive has bought the farm. they are worth about $12Can