1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foolish copy protection systems...dah!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by O_C_FReaK, Feb 19, 2007.

1. O_C_FReaK

O_C_FReaK Member

Really,I cannot understand why companies use copy-protection systems when you digitally purchase(aka download also) a file.I had bought the whole Disciples II Game Series only to find out after some months that it has Armadillo protection.Why???Afraid that I am gonna distribute the file?For God's shake I installed Virtual Clone Drive (---> Slysoft) and AnyDvD and the *.exe,every time I update,locks with a nag screen saying blah blah blah.Very well done Digital River!Like I cannot use a Hex Editor(WinHex anyone?) to "reverse the process" if I at least have a previous Hardware Fingerprint(lately I found out you don't even need a Serial Key from the company).I mean why all this fuss?Why make consumers' life difficult when THIS is NOT a proper way to protect consumer?The way Armadillo works when I update AnyDvD,Virtual Clone Drive,CloneDvD or for God's know what I install/update in my OS it will lock requesting a Hardware Fingerprint(Digital River was smart enough to make their protection hardware dependent -> Like say you change your CPU it will lock your executable!).No offense,Strategy First technicians responded immediately and there were very concerned with my issue and Digital River responded properly(though if you don't know alternate ways of bypassing these protections you have to wait 10-12 days!LoL) but why the fuss?Why spent,every now and then,1 minute of my life for smthing not only meant to disturb and limit the user's rights but also being easily cracked(relatively for some inexperienced) and ineffective for legacy?I mean thnx God to those who make tools to crack such BS and because I come from a CS university these things will always break.Sooner or later!Period(---> Manmade so what locks also has a way to unlock).Anyway,I wrote this because it is pretty disturbing when there is nobody informing the customer of the DRM embedded protection mechanism included when you purchase the file and a day comes only to find out that you have problems.The same now with movies...What's all about?If someone wants to kill he will kill so if someone wants to pirate he will pirate and if someone is greedy enough to send lawsuits and several cease and desist letters here and there he will do it no matter what happens(unless you smash his head and shane some common sense to his mind :-D).Anyway...

P.S.1:I have to congrats StarDock for the way the sell their titles or titles of third parties!

P.S.2:Sorry for any typos.Not a native American/English speaker.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

and what is the point with the post? the companys are just trying to protect their product to make money

3. O_C_FReaK

O_C_FReaK Member

Raising a topic for discussion?

Either you haven't read my post or...That's what I am saying.They do not make money but they successfully make angry consumers!

4. ireland

ireland Active member

we all here at afterdawn talked about copy protection until our faces turned blue....
    [​IMG]

5. O_C_FReaK

O_C_FReaK Member

LoL.OK,sorry for making your faces a little more blue than you are! :-D