1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football Thre... Errm... Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by permiggs, Feb 6, 2006.

1. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Colchester are kicking up a fight... 1 all for now...
    Looks like your line up was a bit wrong Weazel... SWP and Paulo Ferreira are on... So is Duff...

2. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

3-1.

Not too bad Colchester... Almost had a classic cup game!

Who did Celtic bash 8 to?

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

@Haim - yeah I caught that..good on Celtic. Roy Keane was Machester United's Gerrard, Lampard & Vieira. Man Utd & Arsenal both let their driving forces go. That's why they are both having poor seasons.

BTW, nice to see you posting :)

4. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Well it was obvious Chelsea were going to win. At least Chelsea can say they didn't concede a goal by a League One side.

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Hey wait a minute there premi, your barking up the wrong tree there pal, first I dont need a lecture on the history of your football, soccer, I played it when you were probably playing pinball machines, rugby I dont know anything about and never claimed to.
    I clicked on this threat about a week ago thinking it was about Amer. football, it never said anything about this is english football, I was told to get off when I made a comment and had a question, well ok whatever, but, it seems to me it's a little rude to just outright think anybody owns any thread, ok, visiting this site after a couple of weeks it didnt take long to figure out this was a British site, ok, thats cool, but if e.g. a British guy was to visit a so called Amer. football thread I would'nt get my nickers up, I would say hey welcome, how are things on the other side of the pond, anything we can teach you about our game, or maybe you can teach us something about yours.
    And you guys are right, I to dont know why we called it football, you get no argument from me there, a game thats all about throwing, catching and tackling the name makes no sense, so yes, it's your name, you guys invented it, cherish it, great, more power to ya, very happy for you, but dont get uneasy on somebody like me, I wasnt even there when somebody decided to call our game football 80 years ago.
    Even making a mistake by getting on this thread last week it kinda made me intersted in soccer again, its been years since I even inquired about anything to do with soccer, and most of the comments are get off start your own thread, so my interest went right down the drain, when I was in England back in the 60's it was not like that, conversations were open happy and great and always intersting, even a good argument was, there was always something new to learn, never did anybody tell me go back home, nice going guys.

6. Lethal_B

FredBun, sorry if I offended you, buddy - because you certainly didn't offend me. Anyone from any country etc can post anywhere they want. the only reason I felt a tad unsettled was because ashroy made this comment..

It wasn't an innocent, passing comment, it was a smart-ass attempt to shake things up in a calm thread..

as I say, FredBun..happy to talk football/soccer with you any day of the week :)

7. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

Just wondering what u guys think of the following eufa champions League matches:
    Arsenal v.s Real Madrid
    Barca V.s Chelsea
    Ac.Mlan v.s Byrn.Munich

Peronally i thibk chelasea will win the barca test, Ac should beat Byrn.Munich and Its a tight contest between Arsenal and Real...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  8. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

@Fredbun

Sorry for including you in that little lecture, but just like Lethal, i just snapped in that direction, you just got caught in the fire, i'll edit your nick out of there...
    Ashroy tough, did come here to get frisky, i was just taking him on, that's all!
    No one owns this thread, so i don't think anyone had the right to tell you to get off. In fact no one told you to get off... We even asked you a question about an ukranian player and all... You are more than welcome to ask questions about our footy, there's a lot of rules that got changed since the 60's...

@Bombayboy

After seeing Chelsea struggle against Colchester, i can't see them beating Barca... But... You never know!
    As for the Gunners... Dunno... I would risk a 2-1 Real... They can have bad games, but they can still play ball when they have to! Arsenal have been very consistently bad all over the shop floor... Liverpool should cream them Portuguese 3-0...

9. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Thanks for the reply guys, I appeciate it, also right nobody specifficaly said to get off it was just short find another thread type answers, kinda cold, but no matter, thank you for explaing to me maybe I got a little carried away myself, I wasnt even gonna come back not that anybody would care but it was nice to hear somebody bieng nice, but I must say really, after getting on this thread last week, and its been like 35 years that I dropped soccer out of my head, and I'm enjoying reading some of these posts, I guees you can call it like a drug habbit, you can be clean for years but the symptom never goes away, than you day you start up again, but in this case in a good way.

10. haimback

haimback Regular member

Hey if someone had told me about a footy thread id have popped in earlier.

Ohh that makes 2 post now this year....im getting a bit carried away : )

As for Champ League Predictions;

Bayern Munich v AC Milan..be close, id take a draw and Milan to win in the return leg

PSV v Lyon...Lyon, PSV not same team they were last year

Real Madrid v Arsenal...both not playing great at the moment, Think aresnal been saving there best form for the CL, id take them.

Ajax v Inter Milan...Inter

Chelsea v Barcelona..I think Cheski will probbly nick the home game but Barca to go through over the 2 legs

Werder Bremen v Juventus...Juve (who i took to win it at the beginning)

and last and by all means least

Rangers v Villarreal.....If you have any money stick on Villarreal to go through, this Rangers team are S*** on a good day. Mon the Villarreal : )

Haim

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  11. rav009

rav009 Active member

i back my team arsenal all the way but i cant see us winning, were in sh** form at the min...well in the prem anyway, i hope we can do better in the champions league, mainly because i have a large-ish bet on this!! :s

12. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

well Arsenal have a defender crisis, with 10 first team players out...I think we lack confidence but when attacking we have the big guns out there, Reyes, Berkgamp, Henry, Walcott, Pires, Ljunberg, this is the 18 man sqaud...

Jens Lehmann
    Abou Diaby
    Robert Pires
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Jose Antonio Reyes
    Alexander Hleb
    Thierry Henry
    Cesc Fabregas
    Mathieu Flamini
    Alexandre Song
    Gilberto
    Philippe Senderos
    Manuel Almunia
    Emmanuel Eboue
    Kolo Toure
    Sebastian Larsson
    Theo Walcott
    Johann Djourou

13. Lethal_B

Update on that Alan smith injury...I said it looked bad...

[​IMG]

Let's just say, that bit sticking up...it's not his knee..

14. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

damn that was bad, even as a Arsenal supporter i felt bad...his standing leg was taken away, and den he landed on his leg...damn must of hurt. Heard that he shouted at Van der Sar to get help, Van der sar shouted at fergie and den liverpool and man.utd phyisios were on the pitch...they knew smethign was wrng...poor dude.

15. Lethal_B

I remember a few other stomach turning injuries

Larsson
    [​IMG]

Cisse
    [​IMG]

Buust
    [​IMG]

Luc Nilis also did it for Aston Villa if I remember correctly.. cant find a picture though..

16. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

My Champions League Predictions:

Bayern Munich v AC Milan (AC Milan)
    Benfica v Liverpool (Liverpool)
    PSV Eindhoven v Lyon (Lyon)
    Real Madrid v Arsenal (Real Madrid)
    Ajax v Inter Milan (Inter Milan)
    Chelsea v Barcelona (Barcelona)
    Rangers v Villareal (Villareal)
    Werder Bremen v Juventus (Juventus)

17. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

18. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

Na...sorry even with your reputation, im gna be brave and challenge your descions. i think Chelsea will be able to take Barcalona, and as a Arsenal supporter sticking behind my team...I think if we draw the first leg/get an away goal, we shud be able to win at highbury.

19. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Real Madrids experience will get the better of us. Chelsea might win the 1st leg but Barca will cane them at the Nou Camp.

20. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

no, not if makelele is back, he is chelsea powerhouse, i dont see the chelsea defence being pierced even with Barcas Ronaldhionio and Eto'... and Real Madrid have experience but if we can just get the away goal/draw at the El Santiago Bernabeua, then we can win at highbury...