1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football Thre... Errm... Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by permiggs, Feb 6, 2006.

1. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Hi boys.

Well, Arsenal do have a chance to beat Real at Highbury... Remember that not a lot of teams can play in such a short field... Real's pitch has the maximum sizes... If Arsenal can stick one in at St Barnabeu...

Chelsea will loose to Barca... Unless... Makelele manages to stop Ronaldinho and Deco... Eto'o will be 'shot down' by Terry! They have so many stars! Somehow i don't think Mourinho will make his mental game work this time...

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Barca will defend like hell at Stamford Bridge and turn the style on at Camp Nou. When Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco are all playing well, Barca are unstoppable.

As for Arsenal we don't normally get past this stage. I still think Madrid have the edge over us.

3. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

I love the Gunners and don't like Real at all but this is my take on it, I wish I was wrong.
    I can't see us go past Real, too many defenders missing from the team, and Madrid seems to rediscover how to score more then a goal or two, see against Zaragoza. We have the firepower but just doesnt seem to come together for us, see against Bolton. Anyway, it should be a pair of entertaining games.

Barcelona on the other hand should be able to dispatch of Chelsea. Barca have the talent to open up Mourinho's defense, they also have the players that can match up pretty well in all positions. Let's see what Pujol can dish out at Lampard. That's the matchup of the game I really want to see. :)

The other games I'm not really interested in but my picks would be

Bayern Munich
    Liverpool
    Lyon
    Inter
    Villareal
    Juventus

4. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Hi dr_no, long time no see.

Actually the duel i'm looking foward to see is Makelele/Deco... Deco, for those who don't know him, is the kind of player that goes almost unnoticed on the pitch, but will deliver the most delicious touches ever... He doesn't run, he hovers... When he connects with Ronaldinho properly... Dear god! I heard Mourinho was after him, if only he could... Makelele will have to be at his very best to keep up with him...

Weazel, you're right, they are aware of our pitch... They will just sit and wait... So much money and a pitch with so much mud... LOL
    At the Nou Camp the story will be different, but we can play there as well, look at last year...

5. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Don't expect the first leg of the Barca v Chelsea match to be good. I'm not. As for Real v Arsenal at the Bernabeau I reckon they will get a 2 or 3 nil win. At highbury it will either be a draw or we will get 1 nil.

6. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Those games could be anything. One or two players could make a huge difference anytime on either side. I think it will come down on either huge mistakes or some outstanding performances. Will see :)

P.S. I will not post to this thread while the games are on. Only after I watched both games.

7. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

OMG :)
    We should have scored about 4 more !

8. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic result for Arsenal. I can see them doing a Liverpool and going all the way. Thierry Henry & Fabregas & Hleb were outstanding..

9. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Arsenal have got 1 foot in the quarters... They played sooo well!! The Merengues had no chance...
    Next costumer: Barcelona!!
    We never loose there! We kick ass in Spain!

But in Portugal...
    Liverpool lost at 7 minutes to the end to Benfica...
    That's the second brit team they shoot down this year after Man Utd...
    Porto done Man Utd and Chelsea in the last couple of years...
    Sporting done Newcastle and Boro last year...
    They done us in the last 2 Euro's as well... Something is wrong there!

10. rav009

rav009 Active member

YYYEEEAAAHH, i just won £35 :D!!!

11. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

wow! u dont know how i am feeling now, this is the greatest feeling for a Gunner! Beating the Galacticos and the El Santiago Bernabaue, is just marvellous, it was a abosolutley marvellous perofrmance...King Henry! Arsenal are the english first team to win at reals "fortress". Lehmann was fantastic! Dudes this is the greatest feeling ever! you just beat likes of Raul, Beckham, Zidane, Gutti, Carlos, ronaldo and robinhio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cmon u gunners!
    [​IMG]
    The Gunners skipper picked up the ball just over the halfway line, he then shrugged off Ronaldo, Alvaro Mejia and Guti before side stepping Sergio Ramos and firing left footed low past Iker Casillas.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  12. rav009

rav009 Active member

Yeh and you know what just adds to the excite meant??, I JUST WON £35 from that game =D, i realy waas expecting to lose..

YYEEEAAAAHHH!!! C'MON YOU GUNNERS!!1 :D

13. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Real were unlucky to lose Woodgate so early on. If he hadn't got injured then the scoreline might of been different. Arsenal were the better team tonight and Henry gave us some hope and confidence. But we can't forget that the jobs only half done. We still have to play them at Highbury and Real play excellent in England.

14. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

cmon mate u saw when woodgate was on, arsenal cud of been 3-0 up, he is a good holding player, but when the ball is passed thorigh the ranks on the ground he would have difficulty picking up ljunberg runs and fabregas throgh balls.

15. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Real's stars don't run... They walk around the pitch... Arsenal were endeed great tough! The team as a whole were brilliant!
    Bombayboy, after that game, Henry is for sure gone now! Barca will be crying for not having him tomorrow against us!!

16. bombayboy

bombayboy Regular member

yh, but i dnt nwat him to go...But barca want him even mre because he can now scre against r.madrid, close rivals in the spanish league....hope he stays

17. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

ooohhh.... Bless his little hart...

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

18. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Don't think so. They have a better player in Ronaldinho, and in Samuel Eto'o, one of the top 3 finishers in the world behind Shevchenko & Henry. I think they've enough power to overcome Chelsea.

19. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Like I said yesterday an outstanding performance will make the difference:)

I think Henry will stay just to prove everybody wrong.
    Peter Hillwood said that they offered him a huge contract. With the new stadium and all Arsenal IMO will be able to compete with the big boys, but will see.
    Back to the game, I think Reyes gave them more the n Real bargained for. I remember a few years ago when he scored like 3 goals against Real and he should have done the same in the 1st minute.
    Pleasently surpised by the performance of Eboue, even Flamini had a solid game. Fabregas, he is a class all by himself, I loved Gilberto against the best Brasil can offer :) Ljungberg silenced some of his critics, Lehmann too. Senderos had a few scary mistakes but with some more experience he should be ok. All in all much better then Madrid today, lets hope next meeting will favour us again.

Casillas man of the match for Real.

20. permiggs

permiggs Regular member

Well...
    I heard that story last year... LOL
    I believe in Mourinho and Co.
    I can't deny i'm terrified of Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto'o... It's the best trio in the world!!