1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you that use DVD Shrink/Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Synthetix, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

I burned a movie and under QUALITY SETTINGS I unticked the "PERFORM DEEP ANALYSIS and COMPRESS THE VIDEO WITH HIGH QUALITY ADAPTIVE ERROR". I thought it was cool cuz the time cut down the ripping time from 1.5hrs to about 22 minutes! But, the disk is not readable towards the end. It skips, and stops on my dvd player.

Do you all leave these fields checked? If so, how long does it actually take to rip the dvd? Over 1 hr? Thanx!

2. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

The skipping in general is most likely from low end media, burn speed too high, multi tasking while burning. You must give alot more information because it could be anything

3. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

well, the I'm guessing it's the media since it was just a 3pk i bought to test out the burner. I'm new at this. About how long do you all take? Do you incorporate these settings?

Media: Maxell DVD+R
    DVDR drive: HP DVD640i
    DVD ROM drive: Comp USA
    Windows XP

You know wut, now that I think of it, I did have my antivirus running as well as the internet on the background. Damn.....

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

A nice common-sense reply ppower. :)

gringle.

5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Synthetix,
    The skipping at the end of the movie also can be cause by burning too close to the edge.
    Go to Edit>Preferences> Target size> change blue box to Custom and to the right of that make the size 4300 MB

6. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

Maxell is a good media but depending on processor speed/Mb of ram you may have to shut down some programs to get a good burn. Shutting down your antivirus while burning is a good start. When I rip a dvd I use DVD Decrypter, the average dvd takes me 15 minutes but are you talking about ripping or compressing a dvd? Compressing with Shrink can take 2+ hours depending on size and quality settings

7. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

Oh yeah, thanks Gringle :)

8. Gringle

Gringle Guest

No probs ppower; credit whur't doo, :)

gringle.

9. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

PPOWER, u've brought up a good point on ripping vs. compression. Now I'm confused. What is the difference between both? How do I know if I am compressing or ripping? Man, I need to learn a lot more here.

10. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

Ripping is taking information off an encrypted disk. An average movie is about 5 or 6Gb, a single layer dvd can hold 4.37Gb. Dvd Shrink will compress the movie to fit on a blank dvd. There are guides here that can explain better than me, use the search function near the top of the page

11. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Ok, after going through several guides, I may have found my problem. I see that most guides say to click on [bold]MODE and then select FILE.[/bold]

Well, i used SCUBAPETE'S method, and he states to click on [bold]MODE and then ISO, then WRITE.[/bold]

Is there any difference? Thanx!

12. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Yes there is a difference; but for me the hour is late, and bed awaits,
    enjoy the search:)

gringle.

13. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

I'm also confused about ripping vs compression and glad to know I am not the only one taking a long time to burn. I just recently had success burning a DVD (bought a new burner)and was curious about burn time. On Monday, I burned Flight of the Phoenix using Shrink and Nero ROM (used bbmayo's guide). Whole process took 1hr and 44 minutes. Last night, I burned The Notebook using Shrink and Decrypter (used ScubaPete's guide) and the whole process took 2 hours and 29 minutes! I defragged on Sunday, ran Ad-Aware and Spybot and had my cable internet disconnected and anti-virus disabled, nothing running in the background, and I didn't touch the pc until it was finished. I think a lot of the long time is due to my 4-year old system: 1.5ghz, 512mb ram, Toshiba DVD-ROM, NEC 3250A DVD burner, 40gb hdd with 22gb free. It's slow, but pretty reliable.

Tom

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  14. swervin

swervin Regular member

Yes, with shrink, I have perform deep analysis and the default settings of sharp clicked. This increases the encoding time a great deal but the end product is worth it.

What I do and have so far with probably 250 burns to my credit is rip the files to my hard drive with decrypter in file mode. Then I open shrink and open the files. I usually burn the whole disk so I click on backup and to create a ISO file and burn with decrypter.

Just to make it clear, ripping is decrypting the disk and copying the files to your hard drive. Shrink then re-encodes the files and shrinks them to fit a DVD-5 disk.

Good luck with it all.

Mike

15. swervin

swervin Regular member

Oh, and don't forget to change the settings back to write in decrypter after ripping the disk if you are planning on using decrypter to burn it.

16. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

It's also worthwhile to mention that the majority with fast rip/burn times are using TWO hard drives. Operating system and programs on one hd and writing the files to the second hd(normally formatted NTFS but not always I guess)that is dedicated to video projects.

Speed will vary dependant upon many many variables. For the fastest/best results, a healthy happy computer with no conflicts and only essential programs/services running is of paramount importance.

Happy A/Ving!

17. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Well I think swervin/mikes 'bout got it right. Deep analysis, and a slow burn, sorts out many 'self inflicted' problems.

'part from that, I'm more of a Bugs Bunny guy; (I got him on my key-ring) Who, and What is thet AD girl?

I mean; what is a man suppposed to do?

Die and be abused?

Get pissed and be abused?

Just thinkin thoughts.

gringle;)

18. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

I play a necro by the same name in EverQuest. Same "dead sexy" avatar for all forums keeps it simple.

Now put down the adult beverage (or hand me one) and solve the worlds A/V problems! <big grin>

19. Gringle

Gringle Guest

"Someone who entered" the room at that moment.

would have seen, a grown up gringle, grovelling on the floor, in each hand a 'fist full of carrots' seeking a re-write