1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Whatever Reason, Only 74 minute cd-rs work for me...

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by sadala, Jul 21, 2002.

1. sadala

sadala Member

I have a HP Pavilion pc with a 4x cd burner, which I bought about 3 years ago. I've noticed over time that no matter what the brand, 80 minute cd-rs (for audio) never work properly. Songs will be cut in half or just plain wont burn. Which brings me to my questions. Number one, has anyone experienced this, or can anyone explain it to me? This is using a wide assortment of burning programs by the way.

Number two, can someone tell me where I can get some quality 74 minute cd-rs???? All the local stores only carry 80s these days. Anyone know any reliable sites I can order from???

Thanks

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

A 4x burner!

That's a bit better than my HP 2-2-8 burner on my 1998 system.

To answer your question some older HP burners DO NOT support 80 min CD's. I tried a few and they all failed.

Your 2nd question about quality 74 minute media. Kodak is RIP but if you find any, then get your hands on them quick. I also found very old Maxell media very good [Ritek].

If you want to know WHERE to get good media, then tell us where you are from.

Cheers.

3. sadala

sadala Member

I'm in Atlanta. I have a few maxell 74s still, but I almost dont want to use any of them because they are so hard to find these days. I see some on websites sometimes but they look a bit suspect at times. Any ideas?

4. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

Sorry, I'm in Toronto, Canada. Maybe someone else can pipe in about where to get the old media. But you might want to consider getting a faster burner anyways.

Trust me, going from a 2-2-8 to a 24-10-40 CDRW is like night and day for me. In fact, it was your exact situation that I decided to get a new burner.

The reviews on burners faster than 32/10/48 are all favourable. I'm waiting for the 48/24/48's to come out.

Sorry to link to another forum but you might find some deals here:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=5afae1c711f901b4aa7d99c50dca00d6

Good Luck

Last edited: Jul 23, 2002
  5. AegisK

AegisK Member

There is a work around for your problem :)

Hacked firmware from a Sony CD-R/RW crx SERIES drive is available on the net that enables HP 4x/2x/24x drives to write 80 Min CDs... It works with HP8100i drives... not sure if it will work for you.

I don't have a weblink for the file but last time I checked, the firmware was available on most CD-R related web pages...

GOOD LUCK AND BE CAREFULL WITH FIRMWARE UPGRADES!!! AT YOUR OWN RISK ;-)