1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forced d/l of 10 before critical patches

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by dp70, Oct 14, 2015.

1. dp70

dp70 Member

I am a former beta tester. Today M$ has crossed the line from double-dumb S to funnier than a Marx Brothers movie. I gave up using the first beta of 10, it would never close to shut down- after exorcising my computer - my W7 file system was so trashed I had to reinstall W7 -

ALL subsequent attempts to reload later versions were met with failures at first boot and revert to prior versions- the first RTM version did the same, except I had to delete lock files their "revert" failed - I had to use safe mode, because normal load was BSOD.

Today 10/14 I am greeted with the first page of "updates" only with d/l W 10 - after getting to check updates- the bleeping update only wants to d/l W-10.

Microsoft has gone beyond the pale of an O/S vendor and is now nothing more that a malware vendor - demanding to usurp privacy and provide adverts. I guess they want to make me and my 5 networked home computers into a revenue stream.

Right now I am 32% downloaded and 100% PO-ed. They want to give me W 10 and then the W7 updates-
    UP YOURS SIDEWAYS- MICRO$HAFT! The next reboot should really test my skills- undoing their damage.
    I will convert to Linux first.
    DP70

2. chefdamo

chefdamo Member

I see a problem right there as the same problem when people bring me there pc's. For alot of people doing the upgrade from the update does not always work and they run in to a problem. When using the media creation tool that was provided to me works fine for me. I created iso dvd from it as the media creation tool allows you to do so and most people go away happy. I have only came accross 1 laptop that didn't work and that was do to hardware restrictions the manufacture had put on to the laptop. As the laptop was not a known brand and the manufacture was out of businedd the customer was stuck. I really don't know why microsoft forces you to upgrade as some people may use there computers for a home base business and could loose everything and on the other had i seen nothing wrong with windows 10 onces its up and running. infact i seen windows 10 make some older computers run alot faster. once windows 10 is up and running all people need to do is learn how to use it. yes its a little different from 7 or 8 but you can do the samethings as 7 and 8. the one thing i hate is the way you have to stop microsoft from spying on you and these functions can be turned off but for a home user who just gets on to do what they need to do and is not technical wont know that some of these things are even going on in the pc as I have found out. A little reading on the internet can go a long way. try the media creation tool and see if it works for you. you don;t have to make a dvd like i did you can just do the update from the tool if you realy wanted to and is much better then doing the upgrade via update.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

dp70, I presume you have been hiding the updates to install win10 & set updates to notify you there are updates available but not automatically install them as that is what I did so not having your problem?

4. ireland

ireland Active member

10-14-15 WHAT YOU SEE ON WINDOWS UPDATE SCREEN
    SHOWS YOU HOW TO BY PASS THE WINDOWS 10 DOWNLOAD SCREEN
    BELOW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  5. ireland

ireland Active member

6. dp70

dp70 Member

Thank you for your reply.
    Actually, I used the media creation tool when it was provided- I had the FIRST BETA of Windows 10.

The problem arose in MS setup: I had a G Wi-Fi built in the laptop. I upgraded to a USB n Wi-Fi -
    I disabled the old Wi-Fi. Installed the new USB with Windows 7
    The FIRST beta installed but would not shut-down it just ran.

Subsequent Betas and the first 2 RTM detected the old Atheros device ( uninstalled but still in board) and went to never-never land trying to load and run the 2 Wi-Fi even with the original uninstalled and switched of.

Insofar as computer literacy is concerned I was using IBM in 1962 as a math/physics major, now holding MS in both major fields. Usually MS codes superior upgrade install routines, this one is overkill. I rather write code in longhand because it is more efficient than a complier.

I have computers running 10 in my office, a wired network- excellent results with 14 machines.
    It is the aggressive marketing. And this patch time around W10 wanted to be d/l then I choose delay and got the critical updates for 7. My Windows 10 environment has no adverts and does not send MS anything I do not want.

Sooner or later M$ will correct this.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  7. dp70

dp70 Member

Thank you for your reply,

I did not have the update hidden, while I was out of the country- they appeared. I just ignored them on my home network, my office is on W10.

I was able to see my W7 updates by using the link highlighted. However after selecting updates I wanted - OK returned me to the lets get started w/ W 10 as the only option. Clicking that started a d/l of the latest build. I am still listed as beta tester for the continuing madness. What I find amazing in 10 is the MS adds all over the web pages- almost like an advert hijack. That is until the adverts were blocked.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you look at Ireland's 10:57 post from yesterday?

9. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

This whole thing is so ridiculous. I actually downloaded Linux last night and am getting closer to pulling a hard drive out of the wrapper.

10. dp70

dp70 Member

I wish to note others are reporting what I posted on 10/14 A mistake my S!! plausible deniability.

11. dp70

dp70 Member

I finally allowed Windows 10 to install on my Tosh laptop- this is after a first beta that would not shut down, 2 later builds that BSOD-ed the Wi-Fi , 1 RTM and whatever they "accidentally" inserted into our various orifices.

My experience: it is as good as good sex- almost- it just never lasts long enough- but still presented serious FUBAR -
    It ran of for 3 days- now I have no start button, no search, no edge, Hell even settings is hidden somewhere...I can not get to the recovery options for reinstalling the culprit. Thankfully I can order an Exorcist and try to revert to 7- I well expect the revert to 7 to have adequate errors for a clean install- their early one was not deleting a lock file.

The default set-up did not allow system restore to do anything- and I missed this with an array of "udder" items.

The avarice of M$ and the amazingly lame coding with importance for adverts greater than a stable operating system only encourages me to quote my Doberman about 8.0 first beta- BOW! WOW! and I apologize to my dog for dragging him into this farce. They have surpassed the lame of Vista and set a record for coding FUBAR hall of infamy.

I have used Windows since 2 and IBM since 1962 - W10 is an achievement of what not to do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015