1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

forcing me to burn at 1 X ??

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by celibate, May 6, 2006.

1. celibate

celibate Member

it might be refurbished.. ill call tommorow to find out..

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The link says it is a new drive, but like I said be wary...if you are going down the new drive road, it wouldn't hurt to try and flash your drive. If you are getting a new drive anyway who cares if the other gets fried.

EDIT: There is also a disclaimer that states product may different than shown...the cheapest shipping to me is over $10, wheras Newegg often offers free shipping so for ten dollars more you know you are getting what you pay for.

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=175077

4. celibate

celibate Member

flash your drive ?? lol .. whats that mean ??

5. LOCOENG

Install new firmware...lol

6. binkie7

Update the firmware :0) Same thing. Basically the file you download 'flashes' the drive w/ new info to help it 'learn' read and write strategies for media.

7. celibate

celibate Member

Lol I have a lot to learn... So where do I go to do this ???

8. LOCOENG

BTW after further review the drive in your link is only a DVD-ROM, won't even burn CD's.

9. celibate

celibate Member

Thats ok .. i have a seperate cd drive.. but if the one you showed me does both for 10 bucks more why not.. so i can flash my drive right now ?? and if so can you give me a link to do so ? And a quick summary on how to do it ? Thanks..

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

By looking at that link it indicates it's a ROM...go for the 1 recommended by binkie and loco

11. binkie7

@celibate
    Do you have a floppy disc or something on your pc that may say something like Arttec flash tool? You can try running a windows search for flash tool.
    I'll see if I can find the flash tool but it doesn't look promising.

12. celibate

celibate Member

Can any of you guys tell me the difference between a light scribed dvd burner and one without it ??

13. binkie7

14. celibate

celibate Member

i dont need to do all that.. i just want to burn.. so i think ill stick with the other one. thanks.

15. erroneous

erroneous Guest

The SONY dru-810a I recently got for 60 bux after rebate has been working fine. I have no coasters yet using fuji (prodisc) dvd-r and ritek (memorsux) dvd+r DL burns.
    Although I think I read somehere that its a rebadged benq drive. Not sure if its the one previously mentioned.
    Personally it would take much less time to swap out that drive than try to get that mad dog to work. I have been burning the dvd-r's at 16X trying to see if I would get a coaster and havent yet after 40 or so...

16. celibate

celibate Member

I do have a few last questions on this subject.. Why did my dvd burner burn at whatever i wanted it too not even a month ago and then all of a sudden only burn at 1 ?? Also.. If i decide to go with that benq dvd burner, do i need to uninstall anything from my present dvd burner ??

17. binkie7

From what I found on this drive - it was not very good. The company is no longer around - at least on the web. The support has been non exist for this drive since 2004.
    So it's probably a combination of things: poor manufacturer, no new firmware to 'teach' the drive read/write strategies of new media, it's time for it to retire.
    You'll find usually with better/quality manufacturers you'll get more support and the drive will last much longer. I have a Liteon that's about 2 years old and has done probably around 1000 burns. Rarely a problem with it though I don't use it as much. The last firmware update was 2 months ago.
    All drives are not made equally well. Some go sooner than others.

Now for the new drive you'll just need to disconnect it from the power supply and ide cable. Put the new one in it's place. Set the jumper to master. Your drive will come with an instruction manual to follow thru for the installation. Pictures and all (usually).

edit: fix quotes

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  18. celibate

celibate Member

Thank you binkie.. you've went above and beyond what I could of asked for.. You're a life saver.. smiles.. The rest of you as well, thanks..

19. binkie7

Nah we're all help out where we can!! As a mod here says (ddp) 'teach and learn'
    Any more problems you know here to go! But stick around - I'm sure you can help some out here too!
    Happy Burning!

20. peterhun

peterhun Member

The cause of your problem is with the brand of media you are using vs the dvd burner, not any specific burning application. The burner does a quick check prior to burning and determines the appropriate burn rate and stores this in its own onboard memory. Once it is in memory it stays there for that particular brand of disk and manufacturer. Sometimes manufacturers lie about their claimed burn rate especially on cheaper brands. I have proven this on my 2 PC's. The same disk brand will burn at different speeds at max as determined by the burner on 2 different PC's using 2 different brand burners but both using the same applications be it Nero, Alcohol etc.