1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

forcing me to burn at 1 X ??

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by celibate, May 6, 2006.

1. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

That's why most members here only recommend the quality brands like Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. Very compatible with almost all drives with consistent results.
    It's always best to keep the firmware up to date on the drive - this is what teaches it the write strategies based on the media id codes updated. If the drive doesn't have them it will use a generic write pattern which may or may not work.

@celibate
    Forgot to add - you drive should come with new cables - use those instead of the existing ones. Remember to keep it on a separate power connection. Again though this should be covered in the instruction manual. While you waiting for your new drive if you have access to another pc that burns dvd's fine - try swapping the drive and see what happens with the Artec.
    Keep us posted!

2. celibate

celibate Member

What are the differences between - dvds and + dvds ?? And which do you recomend ??

3. binkie7

The difference is + is said to be superior to the - format (there's a link around here somehwere explaining it all - can't find it right now). + r's can also be booktyped unlike -r's. I use both formats.
    Since you are getting a drive that will booktype I would suggest getting the +r's and booktyping them. Booktyping makes the disc appear to be dvd-rom which is almost universally compatible with all players.
    Th media you have - verbatim - is great stuff - stick with those or Taiyo Yuden.

4. photog

photog Member

RE: Nero burn at only 1x
    I have recently installed a new nForce4 based motherboard. So far so good... I then decided that I should install the IDE nForce drivers instead ot the generic Windows ones. When I tried to burn at any of the speeds that I had previously used with the same versions of Nero 7, I made coasters - Error message referred to caching errors. I rolled back to the previous drivers and no coasters. BTW I tries both a Poineer 110D newly released and a LiteOn DVDRW-SHM165P6S (Boxed not OEM!) - same problem - same solution.
    I tried 3 different versions of the IDE driver - same result!
    Ron
    PS Any comments / fixes?

5. celibate

celibate Member

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

DW1650 would be my choice. DW1655 adds lightscribe ability for a few dollars more if you ever want to give it a shot.

7. binkie7

Hey celibate
    I'd follow LOCOENG choice too. It's an oem drive so that's all you'll get - just the drive usually. If you need help w/ install we can help you thru it.
    I think you'll be happy w/ this drive than the Artec.

8. celibate

celibate Member

Hey guys.. I just got my new BenQ 1650 and it seems to work great ! The only problem im noticing is when I go play the burned disc it looks kind of grainy , pixly . Where as before with my old burner it had a crisp clean look to it ?? Ive burned at 16 as well as 4 and it looks the same.. Any suggestions ??

9. LOCOENG

How much compression are you using?

10. celibate

celibate Member

how do you check that ?? I use Dvd Shrink along with Nero to burn..

11. LOCOENG

You should have a compression ratio on the right hand side of the screen. Are you reauhtoring or full discing? BTW, the BenQ's learn the media you use, so the more you burn the better they are supposed to get.

12. celibate

celibate Member

What im doing is opening up the file then backing it up on dvd shrink.. As far as compression it says I have it set to automatic..

13. binkie7

Hi celibate
    Under 'automatic' it will give your a % - what % is it? (make sure main movie is highlighted).
    Are you still using Verbatim?

@LOCOENG
    Is it BenQ Q Suite that's help the drive learn the media? Need your help on that one.
    BTW - like you sig - quite fitting :)

14. celibate

celibate Member

Hi binkie.. It says it automatically made it 50 percent ...

15. celibate

celibate Member

And Yes im still using Verbatim..

16. binkie7

That's some heavy compression - could be the reason for grainy.
    What dvd is this?
    let's check your firmware too - just to see if it's current. In Nero ToolKit>Info Tool>drive tab there's a field for the firmware version #. Which version do you have?

17. celibate

celibate Member

I was burning Daddy Day Care for the kids .. The firmware is listed at 100 A ...

18. binkie7

Hmmm on the firmware the latest version is BCHC - sounds like in Nero you have the old drive picked. Just pick the BenQ in the scroll bar (up top).
    Wow I didn't remember Daddy Day Care being that big! So 2 suggestions (from locoeng) try movie only - requires little if any compression on this one. Or when you click back up click on the quality settings tab and check 'deep analysis'. This will do it in 2 passes (takes longer) but should improve the quality some.

19. celibate

celibate Member

where do i check and see if ben q is picked ?? Nero ? or dvd shrink ? and how do you do it ??

20. binkie7

In Nero ToolKit - check the drive and firmware here:
    [​IMG]

Now for the 'deep analysis' that is done in Shrink - from this pic you can see the tab - also make sure the right drive is picked here too (sounds like it is though)
    [​IMG]

editted to add: from 2nd pic 'deep analysis' in under quality settings.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006