1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forgot to plug the 4 pin power connector! Did I mess up my mobo?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by David83Gr, Jul 6, 2012.

1. David83Gr

David83Gr Member

Hello, I was building a backup pc from some old parts I had and I made this mistake!
    I tested everything worked fine without a cpu cooler.. then I decided to put the cooler on but the 4 pin power cable was in my way so I unplugged it. I put the cooler on but forgot to re-plug it in and the pc turned on, fans started spinning but there was nothing on the screen. Then I realized what I had done! I cut the power and plugged it in again but there was no result.. the pc doesn't power on now.. Fans start spinning and immediately turn off.. Did I mess up my mobo? Is there any way to get over this or is it final?

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Make sure you have the 4 pin connector plugged in correctly and try it again.You can also try another power supply and see what happens.In fact check to make sure nothing is loose and you didn't make any other mistakes.Maybe your CPU just overheated and needs to cool off.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  3. David83Gr

David83Gr Member

Tried again.. nothing was loose.. All that happens is one of these two cases:

Case 1 : 4 pin connector is plugged in: The power led is lit. The power switch causes everything to get power for a moment, fans start turning and stop immediately. Nothing else happens.. nothing at the screen.

Case 2 : 4 pin connector is not plugged in: The power led is lit. The power switch causes everything to get power just like the pc is turned on.. Fans start spinning normally but there's nothing at the screen. I guess CPU gets no power at all at this case..

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Make sure your board isn't shorting out to the case anywhere.You should try and run the board out of the case to see if it is the case that is causing the problems.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try clearing the cmos as have found that to work sometimes to kickstart a stubborn system.

6. David83Gr

David83Gr Member

I also did.. and had it on a plastic box just to make sure..

And also did that many times..

Unfortunately it's the second time I fall on to this mistake.
    It wasn't figured out the last time and I guess it won't get figured out now..
    So I set every other part for sale and will get a new system with the money earned.

Be careful everyone.. NEVER FORGET THE 4 PINS POWER CONNECTOR!
    It kills motherboards.. :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't think so as other members including myself have forgot the 4 pin connector & boards still work after it was plugged back in. was any drives connected when you had the board on the box? did you try another psu as mentioned above?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  8. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

A little quick to throw in the towel. Show us what you got and get it up and running.LOL

9. David83Gr

David83Gr Member

Well I've got enough to know that it won't work.. When some part is dead.. it's dead.
    The faster I accept it the faster I'll move on. :)

Power supply works on other mobo, cpu works on other mobo, ram work on other mobo.
    I did everything to cut off the power left in the mobo.. even shortcut it without the battery on and everything removed. But still the same result. Out of ideas.. sorry. :)

At least it's a secondary pc.. not my main one.. so don't really care about it.
    Besides, I've faced the same problem on my main pc in the past.. and had to get
    another mobo too..

I'll just be more careful in the future and try to not make the same mistake 3 times.. :)

10. visiondvd

visiondvd Member

My understanding is that the connector is mostly dedicated towards powering video, I have forgot loads of times, and just replugged and away ya go, my guess is you maybe shorted something on the board, whislt working at it, and you assumed it was the psu, maybe it wasnt, but regardless, it sounds like your board is duffed.

11. David83Gr

David83Gr Member

Well.. it doesn't matter anymore. Besides it was a secondary pc..
    Thank you all for your time! I've already sold the agp graphics card and the ram.
    Now I'm selling the CPU and some other stuff and getting a new mobo and parts. :)