1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

format question

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by dragnandy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

how come when i have like a video file, and i just add the extension at the end of the file, .divx, the file format turns to divx video. and when i put .avi at the end of the name, it turns the video file to avi? im getting a converter that turns things like avi to mp4 and such, but how come avi and divx switch like that?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Most programs don't care what the extension is named - it's the actual file that is checked.

AVI is a 'container', as is OGG or VOB and it may contain video created by different codecs - the codec being a program that compresses the video in a particular fashion.
    The AVI container may consist of video compressed by DivX or XviD and changing the extension doesn't affect the content.

Different containers offer different features - some support subtitles , etc.

3. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

...Changing a file extension doesn't essentially modify the document type. To reiterate attar's words, .divx is indeed one of the codecs used by .avi files. That explains why the data file isn't garbled despite the change in extension. Of course this isn't true for every file.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007