1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Format RW CD

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by jangunder, Dec 29, 2004.

1. jangunder

jangunder Guest

Memorex CD-RW -- cannot make changes to docs on this CD. Message comes back that it is a read only. If I move the doc somewhere else, make changes and try to copy it back to this CD, the message is that this is a read only CD and cannot be written to. Need to know how to format the CD; also, should it have been formatted before using it? If so, how? Thanks.

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

You migh want to try finding another program to erase your cd-rw. It's built into Windows XP and if you went to www.download.com I'm sure you could find something.

Does your drive support cd-rw?

3. jangunder

jangunder Guest

I really don't want to erase the cd -- I just want to be able to make changes i.e., write. But it's currently saying it's "read only".....I'm running XP.

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

as far as I know you can't save or update files like you do your harddrive or floppy a. CD's work differently. You can write a file to a cd but that file can't be changed unless you move the file to you harddrive then erase the cd and save the changed file back to the cd. Depending on how you burn a cd you can add files to a cd as long as it has not been finalized.