1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatted 9 GB drive, Now only 3 GB. How do I recover space?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Blurry, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Blurry

Blurry Member

I started my computer with a 3 gig hard drive with win 98 and my friend let me have a 9 gig one. So I formtted it and used a hdcopy program to clone the small one to the big one. It was working great until my 9 gig one got a virus, so I used fdisk to format, but for some reason it formatted it to the exact size of my small one, 3 gig so it does no good to me. I have drived re-formating and re-partitioning but it does not good. I have looked all over, if anyone would know any tips to help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

2. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Have you use fdisk from a win98 boot disk to check on the partition information ?

Phil

3. Blurry

Blurry Member

Yeah I used fdisk to format, and since then, i've repartitioned and everything, it just keeps showing my avaliable space as 3 gb instead of 9. I then ran scandisk on the drive to see if it would see any more data but it didn't find anything.

4. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Blurry

If you check your hard drives manufacturers site, they should have a disk utility that will partition and format your hard drive. It is much faster than the Fdisk and format commands. It is possible that there is 6 g of space unused not availavle to windows that the disk utility coould fix.

The other detail is to reset the Master Boot Record (MBR) with a format mbr - see http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...pport/kb/articles/Q69/0/13.ASP&NoWebContent=1

For other format support see http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/computer/memorymbr.htm

I hope this helps

5. Blurry

Blurry Member

Thank You, I went to my hard drive's manufacturer (Maxtor) and dl a program just like you said, a partioner and formatter, and it found the 9.6 GB!!! and it even copied all my files from my small hard drive to the big one. Thank you so much for all the good adivice, I'm typing this message right now on my "recovered" hard drive.