1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatting a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Niobis, May 3, 2005.

1. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I added an extra hard drive to my PC and I want to format it. I've looked all of the net trying to find a guide but all I can find is one in which I need a boot disk. Do I have to have a boot disk if I just want to format my G: drive? I do not want to add any OS, I just want to erase everything on it. Anyone know of a place I can find a guide or something to help me out?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. naviscan

naviscan Member

You did NOT specify what OS you use.
    In Windows XP Start, Programs, Accessories, Administrative Tools (if you could see it), then Computer Management, Disk Management, Format G:>; You may need to let XP partition it before formatting.
    If you installed XP without Administrative options (or you don't have any), Start, Run, type "sysinfo" and find your way to Hard disks.
    Another workaround in XP would be to:
    Right-click Taskbar (at the bottom of your screen), click Properties, Start Menu, Customize. Choose to show Administrative Tools in the Start Menu (either as a Menu or a Shortcut).

4. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest