1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formatting HD, Help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by aznbound, Sep 21, 2004.

1. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

No, I did like u said and disconnected the primary hard drive (seagate 80 gig) and put in the maxtor. When it boots, it says primary hard drive boot failed. so i used the startup disk and it had those problems with fdisk and format i stated earlier.

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Sounds like that HDD is dead, or a loose connection.

Since you have moved the cable, its less likely to be a loose connection.

CJC

3. john179

john179 Active member

aznbound i would take the hard drive back as it is new and you should not be having this amount of problems from new.My friend recently took a drive back to the dealer and they replaced without checking the drive.Maybe there is a few around his was actually a maxtor as well.The maxtor drive is usually a great drive i have one myself.Maybe you were just one of the unlucky ones like my friend.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes, its starting to look more like the drive itself is bad. If after the floppy disk bootup is done you can't get any commands to work on the drive, I would say its the drive.

Jerry

5. aznbound

aznbound Regular member

Yeah, I just returned it. when i ran the installation disk, it said something about more than 137 gigs so i just partitioned it to 137 max. Is this suppose to happen? and i partiotioned the 137 gigs to fat32 and ran windows 98 boot disk. after i restarted my pc, it said the new settings were installed and i should restart. is what im doing correct so far?

Also, when i restarted, windows doeesnt start, it just goes to dos-mode into drive c. can i install windows onto the maxtor using my current seagate drive?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion. - Sephiroth[/small]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  6. CJC

CJC Regular member

FAT32 can only support up to 137GB.

So if your running Windows 98/SE thats the most you will get.

But if you are running 2000/XP, you can convert to NTFS and use the full amount.

CJC

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Some new HD's come with a disk utility that will allow you to transfer all your old HD information to the new HD. I'm sure there are some free versions out there also.

Jerry
    This article may help.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,7314,00.asp
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  8. Stoner51

Stoner51 Guest

go to maxtor website, download maxblast 3, select add hard drive as new boot device. size your partitions custom if you want and it will copy the files from the old boot to the new boot device, give you the new install instructions(what to do when you turn the computer off) it will change your drive letter to C you can then reformat the seagate drive if you like. I think you only have to have one maxtor drive for the maxblast program to work. If not you can go to seagate website and download disc wizard for windows. I recently, Friday did just the opposite, maxtor ide to seagate sata no problems. the maxblast software will update windows to recognize the 137 and larger drives because it did with my 200 gb IDE. hope that helps. sorry win 98 is fat 32 may not get full hdd maybe you can partition it to be not bigger than 137, that might work. try 40 for os and 120 for storage.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2004
  9. Fivewords

Fivewords Member

Hey Stoner - maybe you can help me. I just built a new system with a 200GB Seagate HD. Would it be easier to put it in my existing system to transfer everything onto it before I do anything with it? Right now, it's new, therefore, it should be blank. Also, I may have a problem since the only XP disk I have is an upgrade version. Since there's no OS on it, there's nothing to upgrade. Maybe this is the way around that problem.

10. Stoner51

Stoner51 Guest

yes Seagate has the disc wizard software. Turn off computer hookup new HDD in system. Start computer. Open discwizard. select set New HDD as boot device, it will format, form partitions, and copy all files and install the new drive as the C: drive no need to reinstall windows. You can then reformat the od drive for storage. worked for me when I installed my new sata seagate from my old maxtor. Make sure to follow all the instructions and be sure to read the how to install the drive file. Whole process takes about 20 minutes and you have your new drive installed and running. Hope this helps.