1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

formatting hdd

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by esco600, Mar 30, 2005.

1. esco600

esco600 Regular member

okay, i have a 200 gb hard drive from another pc that i'm not using. i want to put it in my PS2. but the stuff from the old pc is still on the hard drive, i know it is possible to have two hard drives in a pc, but could i put the old hard drive in my new pc and erase it without erasing the one that is already in my new pc?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

To introduce a new HD in a system, I just bust out the partition(s) completely, using Delpart (circa 1993).
    Most people, however, do not have this NTFS tool, which came with WindowsNT.
    So if you have a number of small partitions, you do your best using FDisk to tidy up.
    Otherwise just reformat the drive in any PC. NTFS quick-format is attractive in a drive this size - otherwise it will take about an hour ;^(
    Don't ask me what partitions/filesystem THAT would require :^) LoL
    But to put a second HD in any PC, only the system partition (typically C:\) on the primary 'active' drive is used to start the OS.
    So your second HD, even containing another OS, will not interfere with your PC's startup.
    You can easily blank it out and repartition/reformat from within Windows: Andministrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management
    Don't mess with your original HD and it will be fine.
    Regards

3. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

if you find all that hard to understand just download partition magic 8 and plug in the hardrive u want to erase and load the OS off the other.. select all the partitions on the HDD u want to erase and select delete.. then create a full C: partiton that uses the whole HDD space on 1 partition.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

5. esco600

esco600 Regular member

thanks alot everybody

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn

7. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member