1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum rules revised

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by Ketola, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

thx andmerr, i do understand the need tho for users to know if something has been reported and whats even better is it is great for, and i know for the admins, to know that so many users are concerned about how the forum is kept clean :) it shows that there is so much respect for aD.

2. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Hi,

Thanks..the rules are clear-cut and should help avoid nit-picking and in house squabble (which I was recently guilty of).

3. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Wow wat a conv thats goin on here. I have to say well done to all admin and staff and dRD for the improvements.

I just have one query... Is my sig too big??

another side note i have, am i allowed to have a link to google in my sig? I find that if i get stuck google is a great help to resolve the problem after aD of course :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  4. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

speaking as a mod that patrols the "offensive post" reports constantly, i dont mind when i see 50 people have reported the same thread. i deal with it once then close all the other reports refering to it. i like the fact that we have so many users on the ball, so i'm not bothered at all by closing a few reports that deal with the same thread.

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i'm glad you dont mind darth , i've been busy and left you some to do,

Yes i know i didnt leave a message but moved on.

later guys

andmerr

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

darth, flip flipped on us once when the site was under a big multi-forum spam attack & a bunch of us did the offensive posting routine. flip said he spent about the same time getting rid of our posts as he did getting rid of the spam posts. i think it was pulsar that took the main brunt of flip's rage even tho it was a group effort. we have no way of telling if an offensive post was sent & this involved upwards of 30 forums.

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

ddp i'm hoping that with the change in the rules as directed by the admin that this time around a saner outlook will emerge where the admins , mods etc will see it that we are actually helping rather than hindering..............

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

..i didn't realise the mods could deal with gazillion duplicate offensive reports posted from loads of us (see darth's reply)..

9. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    i have only reported about 4 threads for one reason or another
    the one time i did say on the thread to the postie that i had asked the thread to be closed, was when myself and a couple of others had been answering a thread , found the very same post posted again the next day
    after reading both threads, i decided that the original thread i had answered was being dealt with better in the new one, so asked for the first to be closed and explained what i had done and why to the member in question
    there was no offence or wanting to be a wanabee mod or a power trip intent in the action
    and i believe that creaky and others are of the same mind, that i/we where taking a little pressure of the mods. if this is not so, then i bow to your pleasure and will desist from doing so
    i just find it very difficult to report something behind someones back
    one thing i would like to know. when a report is made, is it anonymous or do you know who sent the report (in my case i would prefer that you knew who i was)

10. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yes it says who sent it, and generally people will add a note saying why it was reported, or the links to the multiple posts, etc. i've never seen a problem with any of it, it's a great tool that helps us out a massive amount. Another way the multiple reports could be handled is if you see that a senior or addict has already commented on a thread and it's more than obvious that the thread needed to be reported, it's probably safe to assume that the senior or addict has already done it.

11. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

darthnip :)
    ok. thanks

12. paradyme

paradyme Guest

I welcome these forum rule changes. I hope this brings an end to the micro managing that has taken place here at the forum by non- moderators. I appreciate that the real moderators understand that mistakes happen with regards to topics and will be corrected accordingly. As I have noticed that some more senior but not authoritive members like to single out people when they think someone is wrong and instigate arguments as opposed to reporting there beefs or concerns. Being a member of many online forums,

I realize that we all are some where private some where on this planet expressing our views and sometimes what we think is not always nice or within forum rules. But let's not abuse our given anonimity by taking on the role of a keyboard bully or coward hiding behind ones depiction of forum rules and attempting to flame anyone who appears to stray away from a legal topic. I would also appreciate when someone is responded to or corrected for a possible violation that it be done in a private message so what needs to be said can be heard and understood without the member being embarrassed in front of other forum members, which also creates negative tension and flames.

This also I believe allows for the forum and it's moderators to keep a private tracking record of violations committed by a given member.

Thanx Again Moderators
    paradyme

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi everyone; Excellent clarification on the rules and the additions. Most of the upper members(Seniors/Addicts) should have enough common sense to know when a minor infraction can be handled with a general SUGGESTION or comment to another member or if the OFFENSIVE post button needs pushed. If I see someone advertising a business in a post I hit the BUTTON and let the mods or admins handle it. If someone has an e-mail address in their post I usually SUGGEST they remove it as its against the forum rules. I am in no way trying to be a MOD but by making that SUGGESTION it gives the mods more time to handle important problems. It all comes down to how the posted answer is given to the rule breaker. I have yet to have any new member give a smart remark to a post I have made when they are bending the rules slightly. In most cases the answer is a THANK YOU I'll try not to do it again. If you want ALL infractions reported I will comply as always but think the mods are going to get swamped with so many reports that they won't get any sleep. My comments to most rule breakers/benders is usually in the form of a suggestion and in a friendly manner. In most cases they correct the problem, if I see its not corrected I then hit the button. With the forum membership numbers as high as this site has I don't know if they can handle every possible complaint there is. The Mods all do an excellent job so I will do exactly as you have suggested and hope they don't get overwhelmed.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  14. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

what about my sig is it up to regulation <?>

15. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Yes Phantom69, your sig is just fine.

16. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

i though because it has moving stuff but it would have been a shame to rid of it because of the work that went into it by me....

17. framit

framit Guest

A big THANK YOU to whoever it was for implementing the new signature rule. I like a few other members find them very distracting and realy pointless in most cases. Very sorry phantom69 and other members I didn't realize they were a lot of work to create.
    Use them if you must, but at last we have a limit on their size now.
    Keep up the good work at AD all Mods and Admins.
    Thanks again all I've had my say now.

18. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

good for you <!> ;)

19. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i think for now my samurai is going to rest as it was a bit long.....

20. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

go back to the prepared mouse, that was funny stuff <o_O>