1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum rules revised

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by Ketola, Nov 21, 2005.

1. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

I thought locoeng handled that one well. He could have slammed in to the newbie like being hit by a speeding loco-eng.. :)

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

@andmerr

I wouldn't talk...LOL

@Maxburn

We actually hit a guy last week and only broke his arm...LOL

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

that was an entirely different situation and you've quoted me out of context..............should of being " bye bye loser scum"

4. LOCOENG

LOL

Different context, but still harsh....

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

not really

6. LOCOENG

I like your new sig by the way, meant to say something about it last week but never got around to it. Did you do it?

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

me , nah another phantom gif.He is really getting very good with these...........

8. hap99

hap99 Guest

February 6 and 7 comments are exactly why I don't post on these forums, or read them very often. Another example of bashing and making a newbie feel stupid. You Senior Members, Mods, and other high ranking posters seem to feel that those of us who require help also need a lesson in computer use.
    Those of us newbies who are asking questions, (and yes, I have seen the new rules), are asking because we don't know the answer. I haven't posted in probably 6 months because of some of the responses that I got from my last 2 or 3 posts, which were not against the rules in any way.
    Maybe the arrogance needs to stop, or maybe you all need to think about what it was to be a newbie yourselves.
    I will not say what programs I am using to work with my dvd's, since this appears to be a violation of rules, (links to programs), but, how about ending the higher than a newbie, I'm better than you, sarcastic attitude...And there are a few of you with them.
    Some of you will look at this post and say, Who the heck does this guy think he is. The answer is...I am the NEWBIE that you made feel really stupid and offended because of a question I asked.

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ hap99 : have we offended you some how, maybe you can copy and paste a link for us to view the posts you are referring to.

Generally all of the forum has been asked not to knit pick posts, if they dont conform to the AD way, just use the offensive button thingy and let the mods handle it.Ther are two many people who still consider themselves to be wannabe mods but in time that will change .

isnt this post a bit arrogant.If you truly feel slighted , why post this in the general forum, take it up with admin, I/m sure dela or dRD would be able to help you sort these issues

talking about the programs isnt the real issue but decss discussions on how to actually make software that will break code is.

i guess naming names is out of the question

Now that your have had your rant do you feel better, now how about coming back and answering some questions and helping the people who need your answers so that they can get there projects completed.

O'h it was a nice rant by the way...................

later dude

andmerr

10. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

@happ99

Ok here goes...

I know what u mean about the levels of communication here being sometimes harsh and tense etc...

But u have to understand that every1 here has a diffrent method of getting there msg across, could b harsh or strong or it could b fluffy and nice...

We all have diffrent ways...

Now in regards to why sometimes we are harsh is because we see mewbies amd even jnrs and even higher ranks sometimes act foolish that is y we give out these warnings and they are not harsh in the beggining they just initally point out the rules and regulations in how we run the site here.

If the behavouir is constantlly repeating then we become a bit hardened, but at then end of the day we are just trying to help ever1 out...

I hope that clears somethings up plz stay and remember if u stay u can even make changes in how things are regardless of ur rank...

Remember every1 here started as a newbie and gradually with time grew too know how things are and where things needed too b modified...

No one here know everything there is too know we all learn from each other...

If u ever need any help u can always pm me and we can talk...

Cu around...

11. LOCOENG

@hap99

I'm sure that your comments are directed at me since I was the one to initiate the onslaught, and unfortunately I would have done the same to you had you posted a question about how to copy something here. The rules are available in every forum at AD, these rules are should be read by everyone who posts at AD...I read them when I first started posting here, but the fact remains that you feel slighted in some way.

The moniker under our names mean nothing to me, noob to addict, you can tell which posters are sensible and reasonable and which ones are just here for a quick fix for what ails them at the time. Judging by the thoughtfulness of your post I would say you fall into the sensible category.

Had the offending poster on the previous page had stated, "I've looked everywhere on AD and I still can't find the answer to my question...here it is, can you help me?" I would have directed him/her to the correct forum and tried to help to the best of my ability. I'd do the same for you. However, when someone busts in with no details or relevancy to the convo taking place...they need to be handled, which is what happened. I would have done the same to you.

But don't let this small sampling of life at AD scare you away or offend you. Me, Andmerr, and Borhan all frequent the DVD Shrink and Nero forums...if you have any questions any one of us would be glad to help you. So please stop by and let us change your opinion of AD, and on a side note, it is only illegal for AD to link to circumvention software...not to talk about it or mention it by name.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I'm with you on this one Loco, jimb just barged in with a question that was not relevant to the thread! That is just plain rude, clear & simple.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  13. LOCOENG

Thank you Pulsar, I think most would feel the same way.

There is a time and place for everything.

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

After all, if you were having a conversation with a colleague about your holiday & someone came up & just blurted out "did you watch the football last night?", you would be annoyed, I would be.

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

heck, we tell our kids not to interrupt when we are talking to somebody so the same applies here!!

16. LOCOENG

@pulsar

I was actually going to use that analogy, but thought I'd better stop while I was ahead.

@ddp

I'm still trying to get my 1 1/2 year old to talk. You spend the first 3 years teaching them to walk and talk and the rest of their life your telling them to sit down and shut up.

LOL

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Before my friends little lad started talking, I told her to enjoy it. Now he never stops!

He is quite sweet actually, I love him to bits, I was the first person he said "bye" to. [bold]MARVELLOUS[/bold]

18. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

Forum rules needed an update. Nobody (myself included) needs to make a decision if something violates rules and play the job of cop. The moderators can be alerted, and if they decide something is wrong they can edit/delete/contact the person.

19. jan123

jan123 Guest

Hi I was wondering what foum to go to to find out how to move up from a newbie to a junior member?

20. LOCOENG

Newbie to Junior Member -- 25 posts
    Junior Member to Member -- 100 posts
    Member to Senior Member -- 500 posts
    Senior Member to Addict -- 2500 posts
    anyone to Moderator -- determination and bribes to admins
    anyone to Admin -- decent six-figure (euros or dollars, we are not picky) lump sum to AfterDawn's Swiss bank account
    smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast