1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frames skipping

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by X-0ut, Dec 9, 2002.

1. X-0ut

X-0ut Member

Hi,
    Ive recently been re-encoding .avi files with tmpgenc,but when playing on my standalond dvd player theres frame skipping every 1 or 2 seconds,now its not the burn speed,ive read all about that - and this has happened before.
    Now I do quite a bit of en-coding of dvd's and when I personnaly rip them myself I dont get this problem.
    The avi films that I have re-encoded run fine on my PC.
    Also I want to point out that some re-encoded avi files run fine without skipping,it only happens when the avi file has a source framerate of 29 fps(im from UK so my standard is PAL).
    But dont let that fool you,I have other SVCD's & CVD's (and even my own custom CVD's) that run at 29 fps that dont skip.
    Now Im using a fairly high bitrate of 2300(CQ 80 - 2pass VBR is too lengthy to wait for me)The picture quality is good,motion the works...Its just some of these damn avi conversions..

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I reckon this is TMPGEnc's problem because I used CCE SP and it didnt skip like that at all!

3. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

ahh.. Dela, you finally took my advice and started using CCE SP instead of TMPGenc Plus. Glad to hear its working out for you.. X-Out, you should try this also, use DVD2SVCD as your front end, its much easier trust me. it calculates the time, splits the video, and creates the image files ready to burn already.

Best of luck!

4. X-0ut

X-0ut Member

Ok,I cant aford CCE,but im willing to give dvd2svcd a shot.
    Im gonna re-encode the same avi that I had problems with before and see how it works out.
    Thx guys.

5. Dela

VCD, CCE SP is great but I find that it often hangs on the Transcoding when using DVD2SVCD as a frontend, any word on that? Im using v 2.5

6. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

I am running 2.5 on XP w/866 p3 and 640mb pc133 ram, never had an issue.. can't say what the problem is without being able to troubleshoot..

7. Dela

Ah it doesnt matter!

8. X-0ut

X-0ut Member

Great - DVD2SVCD did the job,no more frame skipping.
    Although it did crash when muxing the files,but that doesnt matter cause I just muxed vid and audio then split it myself with tmpgEnc.
    Thx for helping! =]

9. Dela

I got my problem started out. I was trying to encode a movie that was being shared by edonkey so it couldn't read it *hits head* pretty stupid of me!