1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FREE 2 AIR TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by drsleep, Jul 16, 2005.

1. drsleep

drsleep Guest

Anyone know a way of getting free 2air tv without a satellite dish let me qualify that not interested in hacking pay tv etc already have a set top box just curious to know a way if possible of getting more channels .
    drsleep

2. mdovell

mdovell Guest

Well if you don't have a dish I don't see how this can work. A box would only work with cable or satellite...

Of course there's regular OTA like channels 2-13 and 25-70 like uhf vhf stuff.

If you get a HDTV you actually should pick up some more...usually more pax stations and also some networks are setting up 24/7 weather stations. Then again the smallest hdtv is probably $600 so paying that for just a handful of stations isn't worth it.

If your talking radio any shortwave should be able to pick up things from much of the world. I highly recommend a Kaito/Degen

3. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

Anyone have any info or a website with info on how to get started with Free to Air Satelite Tv? Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in Advance

4. mdovell

mdovell Guest

lyngsat.com usually has good enough listings from what I heard. From there you'd be able to tell if it's a c band or a ku (mpegs are ku's) where the propagation is (if a signal is say going to south east asia you ain't going to get it in nyc etc) as well as the encryption etc.

Keep in mind and this is someone that all dealers should say. There's NO guarantee that a channel will stay at some place for any given period of time.

Even with my own cable this happened once. I got for a day or so washington state legislature even though I'm near boston and the company doesn't even do business there! The channel switched and someone was sleep at the wheel at the cable co..

5. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

I'm more concerned about what Stations I'd receive from in the states not so much what I could receive from out side the country.. But with that in mind the foriegn stations that you would get on the Free to Air network (or whatever you wanna call it) are some in English with Foriegn Subtitles? because I have seen some sites that list the channels available in the US and some have American program even though they are say in Japan or somewhere..

What I really want to know is if there are Satelite dealers around that deal in the Free to Air systems. (set up for you etc)

I'm a really Newbie to this so any info would be great...

thanks for the site I'll check it out also...

6. mdovell

mdovell Guest

there are fta channels in english. Many of them are religious although I think most major networks can be found (abc,nbc, fox etc)

don't expect (at least without hacking) things like hbo, showtime etc

Feeds should be in english too but they aren't schedualed events for the most part. Wild feeds are like the camera is rolling but they aren't showing something on a network. There's a documentary called Spin that shows the sorts of things made off camera (some that are quite funny)

7. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

All I'm really concerned about recieving are the Major Networks not so much the movie channels
    As long as I can receive ABC NBC CBS FOX WB UPN etc. I see they are available as FTA Everything else would just be an added bonus.. I watch most of the stations above on a reg basis anyhow...

What I really need to know is how to get started with FTA.... and if there are co that can help with setup that would be great. otherwise I'm sure I can fig most of it out myself..
    Where is the best place to buy equipment and what is the best dish / receiver to get?
    I know I keep repeating myself but I'm looking for answers.....

Thanks again

8. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

This is something I have been curious about for some time now. All you hear about is DirectTV and the Dish etc. Before they came around you could buy your own dish , my neighbor has one that`s 6 foot across. And there were hundreds of channels to watch. What ever happened to those non-Dish dishes ???? You never see them advertised anymore ...

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Just do a GOOGLE for FTA RECEIVERS or FTA FORUMS. You should get many hits on those. I could link to a few forums I belong to but don't like to do that. A good starting receiver is the PANSAT 2700. Good luck.

Jerry

10. mdovell

mdovell Guest

"This is something I have been curious about for some time now. All you hear about is DirectTV and the Dish etc. Before they came around you could buy your own dish , my neighbor has one that`s 6 foot across. And there were hundreds of channels to watch. What ever happened to those non-Dish dishes ???? You never see them advertised anymore ..."

6 foot dish would have to be a C band without question. C bands had a peak around the mid 90's but have slowly been going down and down in customer base. They'll always be around and always have channels since it's been a good 30 or so years that it has been around.

You won't generally see them advertised because the size can be so large that it might be rather...well distracting. C bands start at 3 feet and can go all the way up to 12!

Things have gotten quite a bit easier than before since it's a digital format etc.