1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free dvd-audio player

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by eddified, Apr 7, 2008.

1. eddified

eddified Member

The forum wouldn't let me reopen this old thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/75384 , so I started a new one.... Has anyone been able to play the dvd-audio layer of 96/24 music on the VLC media player? I can play the dvd-video layer on VLC but haven't figured out how to play the high-quality music (96/24) on VLC. Anyone know how? Alternatively, please tell me the name of a different free player that will play the dvd-audio later. Much thanks!

( I am using x-fi and vista so dvd-audio is not supported by creative's mediasource player. Creative has said that they don't support dvd-audio in vista. :( .... but I did try the mediasource player anyway, and it didn't work.)

2. varnull

varnull Guest

From what I know it is impossible to play dvd audio disks on a pc.. you can only play them on a proper dvd audio compatible player..
    They have major encryption on the commercial ones.

It sucks but there it is.

3. eddified

eddified Member

Is there a way to tell if there is encryption on a particular dvd-audio disk? For example, does the back of the case or anything have any indication if there is encryption, etc?

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

If you have WinDVD6 Platinum, on XP, you can play all DVD-A discs.
    If you have early builds of WinDVD 7 Platinum, you can play DVD-A discs.
    Later builds had this removed as CPPM keys had been compromised.

You can check for CPPM copy protection by looking for a file with the .MKB extension in the Audio_TS folder. If this is there, the disc is copy protected. DVDFab HD decrypter can still copy the disc though.
    If the disc is watermarked, you are screwed as not only can you not tell if the watermarking is present, but unless you have one of the few players that do not honour the watermark (and nearly all of them do - it is a required thing) your copy will go to silence at anything from 15 seconds to one minute into playback.

5. eddified

eddified Member

thanks, wilkes...

What about cyberlink powerdvd? I have Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 OEM and i've been thinking about upgrading it to deluxe so i can play dvd-audio discs. However, I got the idea in my head that it doesn't support encrypted dvd-audio, but I can't seem to verify this anywhere. Is it true that Cyberlink PowerDVD can only play the non-encrypted dvd audio discs?

thanks

6. varnull

varnull Guest

7. bobchew

bobchew Member

DEAR 'EDDIE' FIRST I AM SHOCKED THAT SOMEONE TOLD YOU YOU CANT PLAY DVD AUDIO ON A PC SINCE IVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR AGES!! SO BOO SUX TO THAT PERSON..SECONDLY CYBERLINK AND WIND DVD7 PLAY DVD AUDIO OF WHICH I AM A FAN ATM..I MAKE MY OWN FROM SACD DISCS I HAVE...I HAVE THE SACD DECK I HAVE THE AMP BUT NO SPEAKERS SO THATS WHY DO THIS CONVERSION JOB..SACD TO 96/24 IN MLP...TRUE THERE ARE DVD AUDIO RIPPERS...AND YES I HAVE DONE ONE OR TWO AND YOU CAN GET A DECRYPTED VERSION THAT PLAYS OK AND SOME AS MR WILKES POINTS OUT YOU GET THE 7 SEC BIT OF IT.
    YOU CAN HOWEVER RE THINK THE IDEA.some ripper decoders will let you get the stereo mix in wavs...but there's a neat trick you can employ whereby you substitute a dummy file for the decoded mlp and you get 3 stereo pairs back out. in wav format (how nice) which you can then load into audition or similar and resave as an multi channel wma pro file and depending on yer HD space resave as lossless wma pro audio file..ok its not a dvd audio but its is the 6 channel audio which you can then playback thru wmplayer setup up for 5.1 playback..so..there are ways and there are ways..hope thats some help!!

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Dear bobchew, I am shocked that you obviously didn't read the forum rules before you joined. Please can the all caps!

9. varnull

varnull Guest

And that he's so f------ retarded to realise that not everybody is some stupid M$ whore with all those s----y M$ only applications. In my computing world these disks make great drinks coasters.

Wilkes put it straight, which I respect and bow to his far greater knowledge of the subject. All I have ever done with audio-dvd is a) try to play them without having the DRM filled M$ only applications, and b) tried to find ways to copy them, again without the M$ dead weight

What is the point in digging up an old thread to attack somebody.. fusking retard..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Have you run across an application called DVD-A Explorer yet?
    This will pull the Audio right out of the AOB files back to WAV - even decoding the MLP streams on the fly as well.
    About all it will not do is remove a watermark (if present) as nothing I am aware of is able to do this. What will happen?
    Depends.
    Burning to a new DVD-A will most likely not work in a set top player, as most have watermark detection circuitry as a part of the specs. Such a player will cut to silence between 15 and 60 seconds into the stream (essentially when it hits the first watermark).
    Some players do not detect the marks - I assume that this is because the detection boards are on a small plugin board & not surface mounts like most and the manufacturers "forgot" to add the board to the production models.
    Also, most software packages also ignore watermarks.