1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free ISO extractor of CD's?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sdragon_, Apr 14, 2005.

1. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Hey. I'm looking to back up a lot of my CD's onto DVD's and I would like to Back them up as ISO files. I've been having problems finding a free program that creates ISO's of CD's (I would like one that does both DATA and MUSIC. Pretty much any CD). If you know of any and can give me a like to go to that would be great.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

ISOBuster.

3. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Ok thanks... I wasn't aware that it would actually allow you to create ISO files. Will it also do Music CD's as well?

4. gotisos

gotisos Guest

5. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Hey ISOBuster works great with Data Discs. But it doesn't work well with Music CD's. Hopefully CloneCD will do the trick. Thanks guys.

6. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

To anyone that reads this... To my let down. Music CD's can't be backed up as ISO files. Well... Kind of. If anyone wants to backup music as ISO files this is what I had to do. I used CloneCD to rip music into WAV files. Then I used Nero to create a DATA ISO file storing the songs in WAV format. Keeps the quality, just not recognized as a music CD (ISO). This was good enough for me. I found a great/free Virtual CD creater (Virtual CD Control Panel) that takes up very little space and works great with ISO files. If anyone can find a program that will create ISO images of Music CD's please let me know. or a very simple/free Virtual CD creater that works with Nero images and ISO files... that would also be great

7. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  8. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Cool... thanks... do you know if it will ISO Music CD's... still haven't found 0ne that will.

9. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

I don't see a free one. Most applications are designed to take files and burn them to an .iso image. Not make an .iso image from a CD. Some
    pay apps claim to be able to convert Nero to ISO image so that might be the way to go. Is it absolutely necessary to save every bit of audio?
    I don't know if there's much that's lost with mp3 at 320.

My guess is unless you're willing to pay for one of those .nrg to .iso conversion apps the only other way is rip to file and then save the files. I even tried DeepBurn freeware that claims to burn ISO images but it will only accept files, not audio tracks.

If there's something out there for free I couldn't find it. :(

10. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Thanks for you imput. My reasoning was to be able to load audio CD full quality through a virtual drive off an image... and the Virtual software that I currently have only supports ISO. Maybe I need to find a Virtual CD creater that supports a format that an Audio image can be made into. The one I have works great and is free. Some of the other ones that seem that would work weren't free.

11. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

I'm still unable to find an app that rips audio CD raw to .iso but I
    did run into this page that might be of interest. It's a plug-in for
    Winamp that rips audio CDs to a FLAC format that uses a lossless compression scheme:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Might be useful esp. if you're doing software playback on a PC.
    If you find a free audio CD rip=>to=ISO app for windows please let me know. It would be worth having just for the hell of it. :)

12. cuffy10

cuffy10 Member

There is no need to convert Nero's .nrg format to .iso. The .nrg format is an .iso..... just change the extension.
    You also have an option in the Save As box in Nero to save as an .iso instead of .nrg.
    Daemon Tools is a fun tool too so you can open Nero files in a virtual drive.

13. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Hmm, that's what threw me. When I burn a DVD or VCD video using Image
    Recorder it always let me choose .iso instead of .nrg. But for some reason when I did the same with an Audio CD it didn't have anything else
    in the drop down list. Strange.

Also I believe I tried Daemon Tools with a .nrg image of an Audio CD
    and when I tried to mount it I got an error about something in the image
    not starting at offset zero and it refused to mount it.

What version of Nero are you using?

14. cuffy10

cuffy10 Member

Sorry pardner but it seems I goofed. I read the "backup my CDs" and I've been doing it for several years. The diff is I'm using data CDs and you meant audio.
    I wasn't sure of anything after you said you only had the one choice in Save as so I rounded up an old audio CD, ripped it, and then burned an image file in Nero 6.6. It only gave me the one choice, .nrg, so your experience was the same as mine.
    I changed the extension of the image file from .nrg to .iso without any complaints, loaded the image in Daemon Tools without any complaints.....
    However, when I clicked on the virtual drive it comes up empty. D-Tools shows it loaded as Jazz.iso without complaint but nada, nothing there to work with.
    Me bad. Sorry !

15. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

If it's jazz.iso you can't be all bad dude! As you might've surmised by
    the moniker I'm into Miles Davis bigtime. :) I think most of the confusion is the Original Poster is going the other way. Trying to put an audio CD on HD instead of burn an audio CD. Out of curiosity, what
    version of Nero are you using? Everything later than 6603 that I've tried produces errors as soon as I drop a file on a compilation. 6603 is working fine so it's no big deal. Just worries me that something weird in my machine may not like version 7 when it comes out! :(

16. cuffy10

cuffy10 Member

I'm using Nero 6.6012 and there's an update available for this. The size of the updates is getting so large that I hesitate to try to keep up, especially using a dialup on Win 98.
    Nero is a great app and I've never had any problems. I started with 4.0 that came bundled with a Creative burner and tried to keep up with the updates since. A few months ago I ran across 6.3 OEM bundle and have been keeping that current since all the updates are free.
    It does good work !
    Miles didn't do so bad either !!

17. cuffy10

cuffy10 Member

<My reasoning was to be able to load audio CD full quality through a virtual drive off an image... and the Virtual software that I currently have only supports ISO.>

Reading between the lines I'm going to assume that MP3 quality isn't acceptable.
    I really can't hear much difference when playing music through PC speakers at low volume so you might think about a compromise on quality in return for simplicity ??
    Possibilities are limitless unless you are an absolute purist so you might experiment with an idea I used several years ago for a Christmas Musak system.
    I bought 10 CDs from the local Dollar Store, all different genre, with Christmas music. I ripped all ten to MP3 format then merged them all into one MP3 file which I put in an .iso file using Nero image burner.
    The result was an MP3 file of about 380mb of Christmas music.
    I opened the .iso file in Daemon Tools where it listed a Christmas.mp3 file. That would play Christmas music until you paid the ransome to stop it. About 110 songs as I recall ?
    You could do the same thing with songs ripped from any number of CDs.
    Your wave format idea would work too if you located an app that would merge the wave files ? I've never looked into that idea.

18. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

I already did something similar... but I copied over the files as WAV which keeps much more of the quality. What I would like to happen is when I run the ISO into a Virtual CD It is recognized as a music CD and can run as such in Media players. The problem I have is as WAV files it's not view as Music CD but a Data CD, and when I run Microsoft Media Player it doesn't auto load the Songs like on an audio CD. I actually have to use file>open to run the programs. It's the same with MP3's. It's not really quality that I'm hunting for it's Convenience.

19. cuffy10

cuffy10 Member

<<It's not really quality that I'm hunting for it's Convenience.>>

The only thing I can suggest is using the "merge" idea. The more songs you merge together the longer it will run unattended. Instead of using playlists use a file that has the music merged into one mp3 long enough to run several hours. Mix and match with a tune or two from any number of CDs...... limitless possibilities ?

20. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

here's an IDEA... I just had it... maybe if i lase the ISO with an auto run that automatically loades the songs I can get a way with using MP3 or WAV. haven't tried it... but if it works, that will be a workable solution