1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free ISO extractor of CD's?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sdragon_, Apr 14, 2005.

1. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Ya... that would work, but... I'm one to like going to the song I like, when I like to. I don't want to have to fast forward to the song I'm dying to hear.

2. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

Hmm, I'm still trying to get a handle on this "convenient" ISO handling application you want to use. Sounds like you're doing backflips to use
    it to me. I don't see that copying a CD as .ISO is any faster than just copying off the files you want to play, be they wav mp3 or whatnot. Maybe if you list the "requirements" people can get a better idea what you need?

3. sdragon_

sdragon_ Member

Requirements:
    Create backup files of Data and Music CDs.
    Backups load like original CDs in Virtual Drive software.

Intent:
    Backup all my data CDs and music CDs onto DVDs in ISO or like format.
    Also include on DVD freeware Virtual Drive software to Virtually load ISO or like files into virtual drives.

Purpose:
    To conveniently place all my CDs onto DVD's, so that the inconvenience of caring around 100's of CDs is reduced to a few DVD's. Yet for software convenience, CDs also load and run like original through Virtual Drives. For my own desires only, I would like to do a similar process with Audio CD's. Place multiple CD's onto one DVD capable of loading into a virtual Drive as if it were the original CD.

4. cuffy10

cuffy10 Member

Purpose:
    To conveniently place all my CDs onto DVD's, so that the inconvenience of caring around 100's of CDs is reduced to a few DVD's. Yet for software convenience, CDs also load and run like original through Virtual Drives. For my own desires only, I would like to do a similar process with Audio CD's. Place multiple CD's onto one DVD capable of loading into a virtual Drive as if it were the original CD.

You seem to have a regular "Think Tank" going ?

Some of what you want to do is easy......
    Rip all your data CDs to your HDD.
    You will have an ISO file as the image for each CD that you ripped.
    Once ripped you get a chance to edit the contents of each CD by opening the .iso in Daemon Tools. If you want to make any changes open a folder on your HDD and "Send To" all of the files you want to keep. Add any files from other sources. Once you have a satisfactory compilation open Nero and burn an .iso image (using Save as .iso).
    Once you have the CDs all cleaned up in a similar manner you can again open Nero and swithch to DVD mode.
    Make a compilation of the .iso images of the CDs to fill a 4.7gb. Burn this compilation to DVD.
    If you are only looking to archive those data CDs in a more convenient manner you can dump as many as you like into one folder and burn an .iso image to store on your HDD in .iso format. The .iso file can then be opened using Daemon Tools so you can extract any/or all files to a new folder.
    Your limits are, of course, limits dictated by Nero max compilation size and limits on file size that Daemon Tools will open.
    It sounds to me like an extremely convenient exercise in futility.....
    YMMV ?

5. TekNoir

TekNoir Member

You cannot make an ISO image of an audio CD because the CD simply isn't in ISO9660 format (or one of its variants). CDs use Redbook Audio formatting for their file structure.

I recommend ripping to a lossless format, such as Monkey's Audio, FLAC, Shorten, Apple Lossless, WMA Pro Lossless, OptimFROG, Wavpack or one of the newer compressors and then backing up those files onto multiple CDs/DVDs. You can typically get a compression rate of between 60 and 50 per cent of the original audio file with absolutely no data loss.

For more information, you could peruse the forums here-- http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/