1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free or pay converters, which one to choose?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Topojaf, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Topojaf

Topojaf Member

So, subject in a title.
    Free or commercial converters?

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

free.. always.. why pay when free is always better?.. that goes for everything in the world ever!!

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

How is that even a dilemma?!

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

free is good most of the time, but sometimes there are some obscure features only found on paid versions.

Example turning a avi widescreen to fullscreen dvd(without blackbars) I couldn't find a free software that will do that.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Are you talking about converting a wide screen Avi(2.25:1 for example) with horizontal black bars to a 4:3(1:33) DVD without black bars? Why would you want to do that, wouldn't you have the black pillars on the side and a vertically stretched image?

Anyhow, DVD Flick can do it, for a free program.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  6. jony218

jony218 Guest

I tried dvdflick (among other free software) and that software could never do it, even with the 4:3 option checked. When dvd played back on my computer monitor or lcd flatscreen, the video always had blackbars on top/bottom. Zooming the video will fill the screen but it won't look good on the screen.

The only programs that can do it where winavi convertor and convertx2dvd, they can remove the blackbars without affecting the quality of the video too much.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I have done it using DVD Flick, I am not talking from looking at the features, but actually from results. Maybe you didn't use the correct settings. Look at the input icon, the black bars present, look at the output icon preview, with the selected 4:3 PAR, the black bars are absent, and that's how the DVD looks at the end. You can actually adjust how much of the black bars you want to remove.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  8. jony218

jony218 Guest

Thanks, now I know how to do it. I tried numerous times to figure out how to do it and never got that pixel aspect ratio box. Doubleclicking on the thumbnail opened up the new screen.
    Dvdflick is ready for primetime now. That was the only thing that held me back from using it.

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You can double click the icon(I wasn't aware of that, I guess learned something new), or navigate to "Edit Title" on the right side.
    Cheers!

10. Topojaf

Topojaf Member

Thanks for the answers.
    What are you think about commercial converters like - http://www.myformatfactory.com/
    Who had used?
    I am looking to buy and try to test one, but 25 dollars its littel expensive for me.

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you're a spammer, go to hell. If you're serious, go ahead, buy it and waste money on something that Audacity can do for free(plus a million other things on top of just converting).

12. Lancer786

Lancer786 Guest

I think these kin of questions mostly are spams because even child know that there are many free working fine or with crack or serial. Why some one would pay for a free software.

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  13. Topojaf

Topojaf Member

I am not a spammer and also is not a child...
    I just starting to work online and dont know nothing about free converters, about quality of sound and so on.

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you're the one above that got banned, being "new" is not an excuse. Reading the rules would teach you about forum "behavior", the do's and don't's, what you should or should not post...like talks about cracks, an weeds and serials,acid, generators and stuff...

15. Topojaf

Topojaf Member

You just said and not I ll take a look to the forum rules.
    Do you really believe that all newbies are visiting FAQ and reading forum rules?
    I ll beter read the forum, its really need information.

16. Topojaf

Topojaf Member

Any other offers?

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What?

18. WoCat

WoCat Member

Hello, new here, I found this thread while I was googling for a converter, because I really don't know what to get anymore. Thrust me I have tried many demos or free converters. My brother advised me to try an online free converter, as he said it will work, it stopped at 18% and never gone ahead. I don't mind to pay for a software but as long as it really works, quickly and with good quality, but the demos I tried didn't work quite nice.
    I would like to transfer the music I bought from iTunes to my ipod, to listen to my gym class, but also I have some youtube videos which my media player can't play.
    So, maybe a little help, please.
    thanks.

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

20. WoCat

WoCat Member

Hey, thanks, tried this handbrake, was quite nice, but after it finished the conversion process, the video was much longer than the original ones and also there were some repeated scenes. Dunno what happed there, but I know now that it doesn't work either...:(