1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Photo Editor

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by donewell, Feb 25, 2007.

1. donewell

donewell Regular member

I'm looking for a basic free photo editor. I don't need all the fancy stuff. I had photoshop but it is to much to learn, picasa wants to mess up my albums. I just want to take out redeye and do a little cropping. I don't want a program that wants to organize my photos, i want to do that myself.
    Thanks

2. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

the GIMP

3. donewell

donewell Regular member

Thanks but gimp is as complcated as or more than photoshop, and the new gimpshop is realy bugy. people either can't down load or the can't open after, or in crashes when they use it. Thanks anyway, Hope there is something else out there.
    PCworld recomended studioline, but it wants to run all your images and albums. I don't want someone else to try an organize my photos i want to do that myself. as they are all ready the way i want them

4. ireland

ireland Active member

TRY THIS AND ITS ALSO FREE

Paint.NET 3.0
    Author: Rick Brewster
    Date: 2007-01-26
    Size: 5.3 Mb
    License: Freeware
    Requires: Win 2K/03/XP/Vista

Paint.NET is free image editing and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.

It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing.

The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with a small amount of C++ for installation and shell-integration related functionality.

download here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4548.html

5. ireland

ireland Active member

FastStone Image Viewer 2.9
    Jan 18, 2007 - 9:44 AM - by Digital Dave
    If you have a lot of images or just work with a lot, you might want to look into this piece of software. Free and very good.

FastStone Image Viewer is a free image browser, viewer, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats. Other features include a batch image converter / resizer, a Full Screen image viewer with Select-Zoom support, a clear magnifier and a slideshow with 150+ transitional effects.

Major Geeks.com Post and Download

FastStone Image Viewer 2.9
    Author: FastStone Soft
    Date: 2007-01-18
    Size: 3,3 Mb
    License: Freeware
    Requires: Win All

FastStone Image Viewer is a free image browser, viewer, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats. Other features include a batch image converter / resizer, a Full Screen image viewer with Select-Zoom support, a clear magnifier and a slideshow with 150+ transitional effects.

Main Features:
    - Common image formats support, including loading of JPEG, JPEG2000, GIF, BMP, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO, CUR, TGA and saving to JPEG, JPEG2000, TIFF, GIF, PCX, BMP, PNG, TGA
    - Digital camera RAW formats support, including CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF and DNG
    - Full screen viewer with Select - Zoom support
    - Crystal clear and customizable magnifier
    - Resizing, flipping, rotating, cropping, emailing and color adjusting tools
    - Powerful crop-board that crops images into pre-defined and customized print sizes
    - Image EXIF metadata support
    - Batch image converter/resizer
    - Slideshow with 150+ transitional effects and MP3/WAV/MIDI/WMA background music support
    - Compare images side by side
    - Undo, Redo and Mouse Wheel support
    - Image Annotation (text, arrowed line, watermark etc.)
    - Simple and effective red-eye removal
    - Much more

DOWNLOAD HERE
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/FastStone_Image_Viewer_d4691.html

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

lol beat my to it ireland

@donewell
    Take irelands advise either of those two programs will be a great program for you. Of the two I believe that Paint.NET is the more powerful product and offers some of the same features and capabilities as Photoshop but with a simple interface and easier learning curve. But on the other hand Fastone Image Viewer incorporates (I believe)many other functions that Paint.NET lacks and is a equally powerful product so it's kinda a wash between the two.

Here are two pictures displaying some of the options menu's in both programs. The uppermost being Fastone Image Viewer and the second being Paint.NET

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

my bad ireland/mods didnt realize how big the photos were and Im uploading smaller ones as I type

8. donewell

donewell Regular member

Thank You ireland and peainapod!
    I will be trying both to see which i prefer!
    THanks again, what a great place to learn things!!!

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@ mods

I made the photos 800*600 as it was a smaller size and I didnt want the menus to be to small to read. If the pics are to small just let me know what size they should/have to be and Ill fix it asap. And I know I could crop them but in this case I thought it was best to show the original poster the entire program interface so they could make a decision. But again if its to big or anything let me know, and i'll fix asap.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007