1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free sat

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by zip23, Oct 14, 2010.

1. zip23

zip23 Guest

hi all at a..d...i have just got myself a new plasma tv panasonic...50".can anyone give me some info on free sat,i live in a high rise block of flats with sky dish on the roof fitted by the local council and supply sockets to each flat...i don't want to subscribe to sky so will free sat come through there dish and if so can you suggest a good box to buy..up to £100.00....thanks zip...

2. videobruce

videobruce Member

Of course it would be nice if you mentioned where you are. Apparently, it's not the USA.

3. zip23

zip23 Guest

thanks for getting back to me ...been away so not able to reply sooner...I'm in Manchester UK...fed up subscribing to cable etc ,when there is a problem you have call premium rate tel nos + bad service for a lot of money..im a movie fan and love my football and documentaries,,.thanks again ...zip..

4. HS114

HS114 Member

Isn't Virgin the only cable TV provider in Manchester (the UK even!) if so then just use the 150 service number from the phone...unless you don't have the phone service with them which would make the TV and phone from BT even more expensive than it needs to be. Failing that, Virgin has several 0800 numbers in use, in over 10 years I've never had to pay to call Virgin.

I'm in no way a lover of Virgin but plenty I know that have experienced Sky and VM customer service rate VM much higher than Sky.

Moving to freesat won't give you Sky Sports and Movies which it sounds like you are after.

I've got a Humax box for freesat, loved it so much I got the freeview hd pvr from them as well. If you don't need the recording ability built in then you can get just the reciever for around the 120 mark, or a decent used one from ebay for under the ton mark.

5. zip23

zip23 Guest

6. zip23

zip23 Guest

thanks for replying,,i just wandered what channels i will recieve if i plugged in a humax free sat to my sky socket? sky or any other tv channels that are floating arround in space... thanks

7. HS114

HS114 Member

If your existing Sky TV satellite setup is in working order, you’ll just be able to purchase the Freesat digital box and plug in, no need for installation by a professional etc. The channels are broadcast from the same satellite as used for BSkyB.

Just seen that the Technisat HDFS has received the Freesat HD Receiver of the Year 2010 award.

Might be worth a look at only £129 inc :

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010